How to Renew Dubai Driving License

renew Dubai driving license

One of the things that might face you during your residency in Dubai is renewing your driving license; now while nobody wants to get caught driving a car in Dubai with an expired license, we are here to answer your questions and give you an easy step by step guide on how to renew Dubai driving license.

Do you have any question about Dubai Driving License renewal? Please leave it in a comment, we’ll answer it. Meanwhile, feel free to read this guide.

First off, there are 2 cases you must consider when you get your license. If you applied and acquired the license before the age of 21 Dubai RTA will give you a one-year valid license only, but if you’re older than 21, then you don’t have to worry because you’re getting a license valid for ten years.

What are the required documents to renew Dubai driving license

• The expired license.
  • An eye test certificate from a recognised optician.
  • Must have residency visa stamp on your passport.
  • Your Emirates ID.
  • Two photos.

Fees for the license renewal in Dubai

• 150 AED for the Eye test.
  • 200 AED RTA fees to issue a new license.
  • 20 AED delivery fees (optional)
  • Clear the pending fines on your license.

The procedure of renewing the license

• Online

You can renew your license online on RTA website where you create an account and fill your license details, once you confirm your account, the eye test results will be automatically sent from the optician to your RTA account, and you can proceed with payment.

• RTA smart App

Download the ‘Drivers and Vehicles’ mobile application then log onto the Driver license services and fill in the details. Select delivery method and pay the license renewal fees using a credit card.

You will be provided a temporary license via email until you receive the renewed one.

• RTA Call Center 8009090

Call RTA call centre 8009090. Press 1 for driver and vehicle license services. Press 2 for driver license services. Press 0 to speak to an operator.

• RTA branch

Update: RTA no longer accepting license renewal from their branches starting from October 2016 and the only available options are:

1. Renew Online
  2. Renew via RTA app
  3. Renew via Call Center 8009090

If you decided to personally go to RTA office then here are the steps you need to do. First, make sure you have all the required documents we mentioned above.

Take a queuing ticket from the counter. Once the turn reaches you go to the desk and submit your papers and photos, after that you will be given another ticket to go to another RTA officer, once you reach your turn for the 2nd time, go to the officer’s desk and surrender your license, they will check your license for any pending fines and you will be asked to pay the fees of 120 AED along with your license fines (If any)

Once they finished with check their system and you finish with payment, RTA officer will ask you to wait for few minutes while they print out your new driving license.

• Customer Happiness Centre on wheels

No this isn’t a joke, there is a mobile unit that drivers can use to renew their license. The coach is fitted with self-service machines and a handful of employees that will “not intervene” with customers unless they need help.

All you have to do is visit the mobile centre with the required documents.

There are a few catches though. It does not come to your house or office, it is only in a certain area for ten days in one of 14 districts in Dubai and its operating hours are from 4 pm to 11 pm.

Not only can you use the Customer Happiness Centre on wheels to renew Dubai Driving license, but you can also obtain parking cards and renew vehicle registration.

FAQ about renewing your license in Dubai

Leave your questions in the comments section below and we will try to answer it as soon as we can.

Q: How long it takes to issue my driving license?
A: 2-5 working days online, same day in RTA branches.

Q: Can I do the eye test in RTA office when I renew Dubai driving license?
A: No, not in RTA but there must be an optician nearby.

Q: Can I pay using the credit card in RTA branch?
A: Yes, They accept Cash and Cards. Update: No longer available.

Q: I acquired new citizenship, or my name is changed, what should I do?
A: Before you do the eye test head to RTA and update your data for free.

Q: I have fines in other Emirates.
A: Those can be paid online on Abu Dhabi police website.

Q: RTA says my license is locked and can’t be renewed.
A: Then you have black points in another Emirate, and you must go to the traffic department of that city and personally pay the fines.

Five years Dubai license instead of ten

The Ministry of Interior of the UAE has issued a new law for UAE license holders. Instead of renewing every ten years, the law states; Expats will have to renew their UAE license every five years instead.

Dubai Temporary Driving License (Interim Driver’s License)

If you choose to renew your license online or via RTA app, you will get this electronic license via email while you wait for the delivery of your license.

dubai temporary driving license

You get this electronic license via email while you wait for the delivery of your license.

Thumbnail Photo Credit: arabianbusiness

322 comments

1. Imran Gayasuddin Shaikh
    June 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Sir my Driving License expired in July 2013,So what is the procedure to renew my License and how much I have to pay for renewing my Driving License. So please let me know

2. Hello I hope you can help me.
    I lived and worked in Dubai from 1986 to 1998 and learned to drive in Dubai and got a UAE (Dubai) driving licence during that time.. It expired in July 2017. When I left the country the Emirates ID had not been introduced and the laws then driving in Europe and a lot of countries meant I could only use it for a year before taking taking a driving test in UK, or Ireland. I see the laws have changed with use of the UAE driving license acceptable in many EU and other countries. Can I renew online as no longer living in UAE and without this Emirates ID?

3. Abdullakoya K.C
    May 8, 2019 at 8:19 am

Assalamu alikum
    My abuhabi driving licence expaired 4/12/2011.
    I have photocopy.i lost orginal.
    I have sharjah mukalifa 110 dh.become 1800 dh.also i am holding orginal mukalifa copy.
    This week i will get emiratrs ID fujarah.

Is it possible renew driving licence
    Is it possible reduce my fine mukalifa

4. Ghazanfar Zohaib Hassan
    April 4, 2019 at 5:17 pm

Hi sir is that possible that I can my name on my driving license there is a slight change in my name

On my driving license it is Ghazanfar
    But on my passport & other I’d it is Ghanzanfar

1 n is extra

Thanks

5. I renewed my licence in Abu Dhabi in Jan – I live in Dubai.

I called to chase to up when not delivered and was told it’s on it’s way.

Now I am told it was returned because they could not contact me ( they did not use the number I gave on renewal.

They tell me I have to go to Anu Dhabi now to collect it rather than just reposting it. Problem is not only is this not a great option noone can give straight answer about where to collect from.

Please help – customer happiness- v.low in this case

6. Aslamu alikkum
    My driving licence from Dubai
    Now I am shifted to Abu Umm Al Queen
    Can I Renew my licence in Umm Al Queen
    Plz guide

7. Aslamoalikum
    My driving licence from Dubai
    Now I am shifted to Abu Dhabi.
    Can I Renew my licence in Abu Dhabi.
    Plz guide

8. Aslamau alaikum

I have two fine on my Dubai license one from Sharjah payable fine and other form RAK non payable fine which was in 2008 and 2010 now my license expired on sep 2018 I want to renew my license he went to muroor they said me those fines can wavied as it’s old one and advice me to go to respective location
    Pls advice

• In case of non-payable fines in the UAE you need to go to the respective police station in each emirate, Non-payable fines could mean you can’t pay it online or you can’t pay it at the police station outside of the emirate where the fine was issued. When you go to RAK or Sharjah station they will clarify the nature of fine for example (your car is impounded).

9. Dear sir,

Presently I am in UAE with employment VISA.(under process).My question is-
    My Dubai driving license expired on 2015.But I was in Bahrain I submitted UAE original license there in 2012 and took Bahrain license.When I leave from there I am not returned UAE original license.
    Presently Bahrain license also expired in 2017 and UAE D/L copy only with me.but in back side of UAE D/L there is no traffic file number .
    Pls advise me to get UAE D/L without test.

Thanking you in advance for valuable time for spend my question.
    Regards
    Anil

10. Hello Sir,
    I loss my license. My license valied up to 2022 I have copy of license original passport and Emirates ID. I get license from Abu Dhabi so please suggest me how I get my new license.
    I get from dubai or going Abu Dhabi.
    Thanks and Regards

11. I got dubai driving licence in 2005 there was some mistakes in my date of birth the submitted date was 10.10.1979 after cancellations my UAE visa I hv correct my date of birth by law in pakistan so now my date of birth 26.11.1979 and also I lost my driving licence now how can I correct my date of birth and how can I got my dubai driving licence again.
    Regards

12. sir how many months before i can renew my driving license, how many months visa required to renew it becase my license expiry is 5 jan 2019,can i renew it in september

13. Sir,
    my licence exp. 25/9/2018 dubai licence , now i am working in abu dhabi, how to renew my licence by online , also i want to know authorised opticals name abu dhabi mussafah.

thanks

14. Anisha Susan Thomas
    August 29, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Hi,this is for my brother who is in India right now. He was working here for years. He took license then. Now his license got expired and he is not at working here under UAE visa. He need to renew the license. What are the procedures to be followed? What are the matters to be taken care of?

15. Hello sir…I am in Oman and I got the Oman driving license for one year till june2019.If I am going to dubai for a job means how to change my license ? what is the procedure for this ? Please reply me …

16. Dear sir,
    I have abu dhabi u.a.e driving license.my license wil be expireing on 22 jun 2019.
    Sir possible May i renew My license 10 months before expire?
    Sir kindly reply me
    thanks

17. Dear Sir, my license expired today but i am still on visit visa due to loss of job and i dont have emirates ID now. Isn’t possible that i can renew with my passport??

18. I got dubai temporory driving license (6 month valid license) on 2006 using kuwait driving license during my visit visa period. Now this license is possible to renew? Kindly let me know the procedure?

• Christopher Milbourne
      August 8, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Traffic number is on the back of your driving license, it is the Traffic Code number.

Note: if there is no number, call RTA on 800 90 90 and they can provide with the number.

19. Dear sir

I have Bahrain license which is valid till2020 to change that license into UAE license do I have to take a driving test?

20. shamshad bin majeed
    July 11, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Dear sir

21. I had my license since 2008 (valid for 10yrs). It was lost 3-4 yrs ago, now I wanted to drive back here in UAE. How can I ask for a new license as I don’t have any copy of it?

Thanks for your advise.

22. Dear Saalam
    My UAE Dubai license will get expired in next 6 months, what is the earliest time i can renew it?
    best before 3,4, or 6 months. i dont want to wait unit the end as i will be travelling a lot.

thanks

23. Dear Sir,

My Dubai driving license is expired in June 2015 and I am having only the copy of license ( Original missing). Now I am back in Dubai with residence visa. It possible to renew even original license not available.

Waiting for your valued advise

Thanks,

• Thank your very much, online is asking traffic file number, I don’t have it. 2005 issued license where it is mentioned

Thanks

24. Gopinathan Pillai Ajith
    June 11, 2018 at 10:27 am

Hi Sir,

I have a valid driving license expiring in this month and as i came on a new visa, my UAE ID is not yet ready. Is it possible to renew my License with my passport with valid residence visa and the UAE ID registration details ( I have done the finger printing and waiting UAE ID)

Your reply will be highly appriciated

• Since the license renewal is now online I think it’s possible to use the ID registration details if it has the Emirates ID number on it, but you still need an eye test at the optician and I’m not sure if they accept and ID registration or a passport.

25. I got driving license for one year of validity.
    driving license is expiring on 27th July 2018.
    What is the procedure for renewing it.
    How much tenure I will get if I renew now.
    I am 20 years old and got the license for a years validity.

26. I am holding a Sharjah license and it is expiring this month. Now I am working in Dubai. Where I want to renew my license? In Dubai or Sharjah. Or it is possible to do it through authorized eye test center? ls advise.

27. Federico T. Capala
    April 27, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Dear Salam,

My Dubai Driving license has expired 07/10/2012 and i lost the card already. I still have the copy of my driving license in my file and i want to renew it.. what are the requirements and documents that needed to bring and how much will cost for the penalty. Thank you and more power

• Hi,
      My DXB Driving License will expire in next 8 month & out side UAE since last 4 years and living in Austalia , can you please advise what the process to renew my DXB driving License .
      Appreciate your guideline and support .

28. Respected Sir
    I am from India, I have a UAE driving license and it expired on July 2015 and I don’t have residency/work permit there. So please suggest me how to renew this, on tourist visa (what type and instructions for visa and other documents). Please reply me your valuable guidance.

• Dalbir Singh
      Respected Sir

29. Respected Sir

30. Hi,
    My sharjah driving license was expired in July 2015. Can i renew from dubai as i have dubai residence visa. I do have a new traffic file in dubai since i purchased a car very recently. RTA asked me to provide valid EID only to open traffic file.
    I have some fines on expired sharjah license as well. Do i need to clear it also or only the accumulated monthly fine of AED 10/Month?
    Kindly advise.

31. I need to renew my license i got it in al ain 10yrs ago. Ive lived in dubai 8yrs now but dubai say i have to go to abu dhabi to get a letter to transfer it even though there is now a uae license. I managed to contact abudhabi rta they said i need to contact the police to get the letter for transfer. Then the police said no they dont do it because its a uae license. Then i tried to renew it and the police told me theres an issue with my visa so i cant renew and i have to go to immigration to fix it and then to emirates national id authority to fix it. Is there not an easier way? I need help

32. Aslam Alaikum, I need some information regarding my driving license renewal, my license was expired in 2016. was out of country now i am back on residence visa. do i need to clear all traffic fines or only fines on my license? my total fines are Approximately 10000 on my car which is very difficult to pay right now but the fines on license is 500. please advise…. thanks

33. Asalam sir my UAE Driving License is expire in 2/02/2010 and now i come to UAE on residency visa please tell me about renewal and fine fee of license

• I had the same issue. My license was expired in March 2010. Go to any RTA office with ID, update your information in the system, get your eye test done, proceed to Kiosk, make the payment as mentioned in the machine and get your renewed DL.

34. Dear Salam,

My license going to expired march 23rd 2018. Am planning to renew. what kind of documents required for Abu Dhabi and also how much AED will be required.

35. I had gotten UAE driving license from Dubai, it is expired in 03/06/2016, but now i am in Sharjah my employee visa is issued from Sharjah.
    kindly guide me where i can renew my Driving License. (Sharjah or dubai) and what is the process.

Waiting for your kind response.
    Regards

36. Dear sir,

Waiting for your kind response.
    Regards

37. dear salam

i have lost my license 5 yrs back unfortunately i dont have any details of my license no number no copy nothing please tell me how do i retrive my old license details

fayaz

38. Hello SIR, I want to know about the medical centres from where I can get medical fitness certificate for renewal Of driving licence I am Pakistani person Plz help me

39. On a 3 months visit visa am i eligible to renew my driving licence which is expires in july 2018 as right now im in my home country and plaining a 3 month visit visa to UAE thnx

40. Sir I have Abu dhabi visa stemp on my passport and I’d is underpross I want renew my driving licence can I renew without emirates I’d I have stemp I’d paper it is possible to renew driving licence

41. Hello sir,
    I was lost my DUBAI licence and now I don’t have Dubai work visa.
    Please tell me how I get new Dubai license .

42. Sir, My license is expiring on 18th September 2018 and visa is expiring on 16th September 2018. I am going on vaccation on 5th May 2018 and coming back only on 14th September 2018. Can I renew my license before going on vaccation because my visa is expiring two days before my license is expiring. Or is there any alternate option available? Please reply

43. Raja Tariq Hayat Khan
    December 31, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Sir my Dubai driving license was expired on 17-09-2008.I have left uae in 2002.
    Spoke if I can get uae ID after that can I renew my uae driving license?If so then how much fine will be charged.
    My Date of birth is 30-04-1956.
    Kindly reply to me.
    Thanks.

44. Hi sir
    I am Sajjad Mahmood my residence visa is going to expire in 3rd January and I don’t want to renew my visa before that shall I renew my license even still nine month still have in my license can you give me advise how I can renew my license even still nine month still have in my license
    License issued from Dubai 9/9/2008
    Heavy vehicle
    And recently I got it LMV license

thanks

Sajjad Mahmood

45. Do I have to wait until my drivers license expires before renewing it thereby having to drive around with an expired license?

46. Dear Sir,
    My U.A.E License expired on 31 January 2015. now i want to know how many years later i can be renew my license with late fees.

thanks

47. sir. my name jabid akthar . lost may license . and last year expired . then forget my license nomber . how to renew my license ?

48. Dear Sir/Madam,My license is expired and i am on visit viza in dubai for 3 months how i renew my license.I requested to guide me..Thanks.

49. Sir I am MUSTHAFA I am new licence holder.my licence validity is 2 year,so how is my renewal charge after two years any changes in normal renew charges.

50. HI SIR AM NOT IN UAE
    NOW OUT OF COUNTRY
    POSSIBLE TO RENEWAL ABUDHABI LICENCE ONLINE
    ALSO AM EXIT THE COUNTRY FEW YEARS BACK
    PLEASE REPLAY THANKS

51. Dear sir/Madam,
    Please let me know how to renew my dubai driving licence?
    My driving licence (vehicle permitted No. 3\4) expired on 23/05/2016.and my previous visa also cancelled. Now I am holdingwith hamriyah freezone sharjah new residency visa.I need to renew my driving licence? please advice me what are the documents required and which department I have to go for my licence renewal? I am waiting for your valuable reply.

With regards,

• You would go the normal process of renewing your license which can be done online and explained above. But you will have to pay late fines of 10 dirhams for each late month which is mentioned in the post above.

52. Hello Sir,
    My cousin brother want to renew his driving license but he is in pakistan and he cancelled his visa. Can he renew his driving license on visit visa because he wants to come here only to renew his driving license.
    Regards

53. Hello, I recently graduated here in Dubai and they canceled my Student visa as soon i got my credentials and now i am under tourist visa and my driving license (Abu Dhabi) is expired. Can i still renew it or nah?

54. Sir..Im filipino i have license in saudi arabia..Now im her in dubai for tourist visa…possible my license in saudi to change dubai license if i found job in dubai? how much the cost?

55. PEVIOUSLY DEPARTED DUBAI ,I HAVE A DUBAI DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED 31/01/2016 CAN I RENEW? AS NOW BACK INTO DUBAI AS A RESIDENCE PERMIT WITH OWN COMPANY

• YES YOUR RTA PROFILE IS STILL THE SAME SO AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AN EMIRATES ID NOW YOU CAN GO AHEAD TO RTA TO RENEW AND YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO PAY THE LATE FINES WHICH IS 10DHS FOR EACH MONTH YOU’RE LATE.

56. My driving licence was issued in Abu Dhabi but now i have a Dubai residency visa, where can i renew in Dubai and what are the approved opticians by Abu Dhabi. Tried many opticians in Dubai approved by RTA but they turned me down

57. hi i have bahrain driving licence which is expired in jan 2017.right now i am in dubai on visit visa my question is that is that bahrain licence convert able in dubai licence if a person is on visit visa or he must need residence stamp?
    and what the requirement needed.
    many thanks

58. hi i have duabi driving licence its expire date is 04/03/2018..can you please assist me i want to renew it next week if its possible i will renew it or no.Awaiting for your response thanks.

59. dear sir Hi Sir, I got a license in 2005 which was expired in 2015. around 3 years Now Am again planning for UAE work permit, so how I renew my license

60. Dear, my driving license expires today! (Tnx for the sms) Do I have to go and renew it today or can it wait until Sunday/next week?

61. Good morning sir, Sir my brother license has been expire five month before ,but he is now in india can u tell he how can he renew his license?

62. dear sir my licence is expire 11month ago because i have fine 4000 somthing that’s wy I late and then I travel to pakistan and my bro pay the fi ne so now i m back anr I m renewal the licence so how many fine will be com licence expiry date 16/11/2016 plz reg

63. Sir my driving licence lost and also expired in April 2016. Its issued by Abu Dhabi police. Now I want to renew it. Please tell me the procedure for a lost licence.

64. Dear Salam, I converted my UK license in 2011 (car manual) and recently wanted to buy a motorbike. I just realized that my license was created without the motorbike part. My UK license has both car & motorbike. UAE only Car. Can I amend the UAE one?

65. Dear Salam, I had Dubai driving license and two years back I have changed to Oman driving licence. Now I have a plan to come Work permit Visa to Abudhabi. Is it possible to change UAE licence?

• You already have a driver profile in RTA with a driving license. You don’t need to convert your Omani license to UAE license you can ask RTA to issue another license for you. But in your case Abu Dhabi visa and Dubai license I really don’t know what to do exactly.

66. I got very useful information from here. I want to ask a question. I have my driving license issued in 04-04-2001, which was expired in 2011. I don’t have traffic file number. Please guide me regarding renewal and traffic file number.

67. Hi, My name is Ahmed a have a UAE driving license issued from Ras al Khaimah in 1993 and it’s going to expire in December of 2017 but currently my visa is of Dubai emirates group. Can I renew my license from Ras al Khaimah? Please do reply.

68. Dear sir, My UAE driving license expired in 2010 (dubai issued 506788) , now I am Back in Dubai on work visa. Can I renew my license with out re-test.

69. I have Dubai driving license 3&5 number my license is expiry on 27/5/2018, can i renew my license on this December it means 27/12/2017
    It means I will renew before 5,months early if possible do let me

70. Hi Salam,

Could you please provide the below clarification?

Actually my Dubai driving (light vehicle) license has expired on 28th Sept 2002, it is almost 5 years expired the license validity,now i am planning to come Dubai for employment visa,but my job position is Sales cum Driver,so i need solution for this case.

As it is little urgent because i will get the visa soon…

Regards,
    Ramesh

Author September 11, 2017 at 11:05 am

Ramesh, RTA did not specify any limit to renew old driving licenses in Dubai so normally there will be a fine of Dhs500 for being 5 years late and the normal renewal fees. You can start processing the renewal as soon as you get your Emirates ID.

71. Hi, I got a license in 2005 and in 2006 I left UAE. In 2015 December my license got expired. Now again I got a work permit so please advise is my license can be renewed, what will be the process and is there any penalty? Secondly, I am a bit confused about my driving skills in UAE as I drove only 1 year, now is it possible that I get admission and get some driving classes from any driving institute? Will I have to clear driving test again? Apart, I am regularly driving in my home country both manual and auto transmission car right-hand drive. Please advise.

Author September 6, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Hi Ali. Your license can be renewed normally with the normal fees but there will be fines Dhs10 per month late. Since December 2015 you will pay around Dhs210 extra for fines to RTA. You do NOT need to get admission just renew your license from RTA and drive. Fees and eye test costs are explained above plus the fines around 210 and you will get a new license.

• Thanks sir… Now i have tried to renew thru application but its asking Trafic file number.. What is this? I dont have car now but after renewal i will buy.

• Boss, as I told I got the license in 2005 and on back only terms and conditions are printed on the front my details, are there but no Traffic file number. Please advise

72. Hi Sir, I got a license in 2006 which was expired in 2015. Now Am again planning for UAE work permit, so how I renew my license? Secondly, I have not driven the car in UAE since after 2006 (The year I got the license), so little bit confuse with the driving rules, so may I again go for some classes as a new comer in the driving institute? here I must mention that I am a regular driver having my home country license both Automatic and Manual transmission. Please advise.

Author September 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm

73. salam Alaikum, sir my dubai licence expired 2016 i am now residing in qatar. its can b renew from here or i need to take a fresh licence from qatar to drive here.

74. My license is expied while i am trying to renew its shows the residence permit data is not available ? what does it means?

Author August 21, 2017 at 3:24 pm

This sounds like an administrative error from RTA, make sure your Emirates ID is connected with your driver profile in RTA.

75. I am living in the U.K I have an international license issued in Dubai and I have a Dubai license too. The Dubai driving license expires in September. Does that mean my international license expires in September too? Also is it possible for someone else with all my documents to renew my Dubai license since I am not in the country?

Author August 2, 2017 at 5:15 pm

It’s not required to be personally present to renew your license because it can all be done online if you registered an account in RTA website, however, it is required to have an eye test result which has to be done in Dubai (Eye test results will be sent online to your RTA profile using the chip in your Emirates ID). As for the international license, we have no information about it or its renewal process.

76. Dear Sir, My license is going to expire on March 2018, Now I am not in UAE, don’t have Emirates ID or valid Visa. What can I do, to renew it (to avoid the expire), if I would like to come there after 2018 for visit or any employment.

Author August 2, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Unfortunately, there’s no way to renew it, but it’s possible as soon as you get residency visa in 2018.

77. Hi there,

I had left Dubai on March-2010, the driving license has got expired on 2013. Now I’m in OMAN and planning to apply for driving license here. Since I had the Dubai License, I can give the direct road test, but the Dubai license I had is broken (only license no., Issue date, and Expiry date are visible – Name and other details are missing) and the photo on the license is fully faded.

So how can I get a copy of the Dubai license using the License number, preferably thru online?

Kindly help!

Author July 31, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Hi John, as far as we know you can’t issue lost/damaged license replacement from RTA unless if you provided a valid Emirates ID. Please verify this answer with RTA customer service [email protected].

78. Hi Sir, My License issued from Abu Dhabi was expired last year. Can I renew it and if yes, what would be the fine I need to pay?

79. I passed the final road test in the month of June 2017 and got my license. Unfortunately, I had lost my job and I do not have my Emirates ID to get my original license. I am on tourist Visa. The authorities said I will be able to get my original license only if I get a visa and Emirates ID. I want to know how long will my temporary license be valid and if I do not get a valid visa within that time frame what will be the further procedure.

80. I have an expired license in Abu Dhabi for 2014, can I still renew it? I’m based now in Dubai. What is the procedure? I tried to use the MOI online service but the website doesn’t work whenever I click the driving and licensing section I’m always redirected to the homepage. Could you please assist me? thank you.

81. Hi dear I want to know about Dubai driving licence renew my licence is expiry on 29/05/2018 can I renew my license before expiry it means July this month can I do Plz advice me.

82. Is Eye Test Report required at the time of submitting on-line renewal application for Dubai driving licence? What else documents required to be uploaded when doing on-line application?

Author July 18, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Yes, it’s required but don’t worry. Once you do the eye test in the optician they will send the report to your RTA profile using your Emirates ID & License number. When you login online to RTA you will find the report magically waiting for you to just pay the renewal fees and receive the license within 3-5 working days.

83. Sir, I am a visit visa holder, I lose my Abu Dhabi driving license, can I apply for a duplicate license from Dubai?

84. I have just got my license in July 2017 of 2 years validity, in 2019 when I’ll be renewing the license do I have to give road test again? Please advise

85. Sir, Can we renew the license with tourist or onboard visa without residence visa to avoid the license from expiring.

86. Hello Sir,

My license Expired on 2015 itself and I know I have to pay fines for that but can I drive a car in visit visa with this expired license and after visa stamp done on my passport I will renew it. is it an offence to drive with an expired license?

Author July 8, 2017 at 11:14 am

Yes, a fine of 200AED and 3 black points for driving with an expired license, besides in case of anything wrong insurance will not cover anything.

87. My license was issued in Dubai and is expiring soon but my residency is now in Abu Dhabi. Can I still renew under a Dubai license? Also, in order to use the online renewal services, can you please help me.

88. Hi sir I am 19 years old and my final try is on next week, people say to me that they will give you 1 years license limit is that true can you tell me please what’s the license expire limit for my will they give me 5 years or 1 years license.

Author July 5, 2017 at 11:17 am

Hi Wafiq, since you’re under 21 years old then yes you will get a license for 1 or 2 years but don’t worry about that at all. Once you reach 21 years or once your Dubai license expires you can renew again for AED120 and get 5 years license. RTA no longer giving 10 years license to anyone.

89. Muhammad Ayaz alam
    July 2, 2017 at 3:38 am

Salam. I got Dubai driving licence in end of 2005 and after three years in 2008 I go back to Pakistan there are some issues in my date of birth between my birth certificate and my educational certificate so I changed my date of birth only 4 months difference now my UAE licence expired 2 years ago and my date of birth also changed and even I don’t have UAE residence visa yet so pls do me favour sir how can I get my UAE valid licence again.

Author July 5, 2017 at 11:20 am

Hi Muhammad, fixing the date on your license is easy from any RTA branch. But renewing to a UAE valid license again is straight forward. You MUST have UAE residency visa there’s no other way.

90. Dear my license expired on December still not yet renewed there will be any problem if I am going to renew now?

Author July 5, 2017 at 11:24 am

No problem at all, just late fine Dhs10 per month. Since December until July that’s 8 months meaning there will be fine of Dhs80 extra.

91. Ishtiaq Muhammad
    June 28, 2017 at 12:05 am

Hi. I have to renew my Dubai driving licence but my date of birth in driving licence 5 days ahead then Emirates ID I went for eye test but optician not accepted. They say first make correction data of birth with Emirates ID so what’s the procedure to make it?

Author June 28, 2017 at 9:59 am

This sounds like an administrative error from RTA so please go to RTA branch in Al Manara Center and you will need the following documents with you to change the date of birth on Dubai license:

• Your old license
      • Emirates ID
      • Passport and visa (copy just in case)

It will cost you 120AED and the process will take around 30 minutes you will take new license with the correct date of birth.
      For location of RTA in Al Manara center click here

If the date is wrong on Emirates ID not the license then please refer to Emirates ID office but correcting the error with RTA is pretty easy.

• Ishtiaq Muhammad
        June 27, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Hi, Salam. I have to renew my Dubai driving licence but my date of birth is not same with Emirates ID 5 days different so what should I do to make it the same date of birth.

Author June 28, 2017 at 9:57 am

• Your old license
          • Emirates ID
          • Passport and visa (copy just in case)

For location of RTA in Al Manara center click here

92. My driving license was issued June 2007 and it is expiring tomorrow.
    Here are my questions:
    1. Can I still renew at any RTA Offices/Kiosks (not online)?
    2. Renewing online, where can I get my traffic file number as it is not written at the back of the license unlike the new ones (silver coloured)?

Author June 24, 2017 at 11:33 am

RTA is shifting everything to be online. Last time we visited their office they told us to renew the license online. No more RTA office license renewal. You can get your traffic file number from RTA Toll Free: 8009090

93. I have a UAE driving license and it will expire 2 years ago. I don’t have residency there. If later I want to go back to Dubai can I renew it? Thanks a lot, Shukran.

Author June 18, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Yes, it’s possible to renew your driver license even if you decided to come later but there will be a fine of Dhs10 for each month you’re late for renewal (Maximum fine of Dhs500 applies for late renewal)

94. Can I pay my renewal with my ADIB ATM card as I do not hold a credit card? I went today to Grand Optics for the eye test in Mall of Emirates and they said I can only pay through Dubai Islamic Bank credit card, I had asked them what other options are available and they said there is no other option! – tried calling RTA but there is no info, the answering machine says a credit card. I am not ready to make a credit card just to renew my licence every 5 years. Please advice.

Author June 10, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Hi Diana, Are you sure the optician understood what you what? It doesn’t matter if you used ATM (debit card) or credit card. I personally used my ATM Emirates NBD card and I don’t have a credit card. Try again with another optician?

95. Hi, I’m 18 years old. I got my driving license. Now I plan to go to Canada for Higher studies for 5 years. So, can I renew my licence after coming back to Dubai after 5 years with a valid visa? (Because max fee is AED 500 ie. 4 years 2 months). So do I have to do my driving test again or just pay 500 and can renew after 5 years?

Author June 6, 2017 at 11:15 am

Hi Raiyan, as per the current laws you don’t need to do the driving test again, but to pay 500AED only for late renewal fees + the normal renewal fees.

96. I have a UAE driving license and it will expire soon and I don t have residency there.if later I want to go back to Dubai can I renew it without doing the tests required?

• I have a UAE driving license and it will expire soon and I don’t have residency there. If later I want to go back to Dubai can I renew it without doing the tests (road test) required?

Author June 28, 2017 at 10:02 am

Exactly, once you get the license you don’t need to do road test even if you’re late (You will just pay a fine stated/explained in the article above)

• Can you please tell me, I have Dubai driving licenses it already expired and I need to renew my licences but I have no Dubai residence visa I want to renew please let me know.

Author June 10, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Mubashir, unfortunately, it’s not possible you must have UAE residence visa to renew the license.

97. Hi, I have a driving licence that has been issued in June 2007 and is expiring in June 2017. I want to renew my licence online but there is no traffic code on it. How can I renew it then? Thanks for your information.

98. Hello, my UAE driving license expired in Oct 2010. I returned to the UK in June 2010 & recently returned and received my Emirates id last week. I was renewing my driving licence and find I have a late fee of dhs 500. How is this possible as I cannot renew my license until I have work visa and Emirates id?

Rgds,

Mark

Author May 21, 2017 at 11:09 am

Your driving license expiry is not linked with your residency visa status (example: you can come to UAE with a tourist visa and use Dubai driving license). For each month you’re late renewing your driving license you will get 10AED fines capping at 500AED meaning you’re late by 79 months (since Oct 2010) multiplied by 10AED the fine would be 790 but max late fine is 500AED.

99. Hi, my license was issued in Dubai and is expiring soon but my residency is now in Abu Dhabi. Can I still renew under a Dubai license? Also, my license doesn’t have a Traffic Code on the back of it in order to use the online renewal services – do you know what I can do in this circumstance?

100. Shaheer Shaaban
    May 10, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Hi my driving licence was issued in abu Dhabi in 2007 and it is due for renual in 2 months. now i live in Dubai and have a residency from Dubai. do I have to renew it in Dubai RTA or in Abu Dhabi?

101. Renato Aragon Villanueva
    May 10, 2017 at 9:32 am

Do I need to go first for the eye test before I proceed for online service for my driver license renewal?

Author May 11, 2017 at 10:20 am

Yes, you have to do an eye test before the online renewal and the eye test centre will send the results online to your RTA profile. So all you have to do is eye test and renew online.

Author May 6, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Yes, you can start renewing it this month because it’s possible to renew license 6 months before expiring.

102. If I want to renew my license should I pay the fines of my car? I don’t have fines on my driving license but I have in my personal car and I don’t have enough money yet to pay them. Can I proceed to my driving license renewal?

Author May 2, 2017 at 12:03 pm

You don’t need to pay the car fines unless if your license is locked because of car black points. For example, police stopped you for crossing red light and they have to inbound your car for 30 days, then you can’t renew the license until you give your car or pay 3,000AED (100 for each day)

103. I am Mohammed Basheer Indian I want to renew my driving licence Issued sharia. But my visa now Dubai any problems renew in Dubai?

104. Rasheed muahammed kunhi
    April 25, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I had been 5 years my licence has got expired and my profession licence is a cook. Now I am residing in India how could I renew my licence?

Author April 25, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Your question is unclear but you need to have a valid residency visa of Dubai with Emirates ID to be able to renew your driver license.

105. Aylmer Gulac Labucuas
    April 21, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Is it possible to renew my driving license even if I am not in Dubai (UAE) nor I have a residence visa in Dubai? Currently, I am here in Dammam, KSA but I have a plan to go to Dubai for a business trip sometime next year.

Author April 20, 2017 at 11:49 am

What do you need to change in your license? all driver info updates can be done in RTA Al Manara branch, will cost you 120AED and your original license, Emirates ID are required.

106. My driving license was issued 10 years ago in Abu Dhabi and it expired 2 days ago. I am currently living in Dubai, is it possible to renew it here so I don’t have to go to Abu Dhabi?

Author April 20, 2017 at 10:37 am

That can be done online via Ministry of Interior website, you have to register new user then do all your transactions online from here the license will be issued and handed over to you by hand or by mail or Empost.

107. My driving licence expiry 8.5.2017 if I renew on the same date it will be renewed 10 years or five years…please tell me

• Christopher Milbourne
      April 18, 2017 at 3:22 pm

As of Sunday this week (16th of April 2017), it will be renewed for five years instead of ten years.

108. Salam my driving license is expired over 2014 because I don’t have a visa. Now I get visa please help me tell the fee of renewal of my driving license.

Author April 17, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Yes Jawad if your license is from Dubai you can renew with the normal process in RTA but you pay AED 10 for every late month, so if the license expired 2014 you will pay fines for 3 years (36 Months) it means you pay normal renewal fees + 360 AED fines for being late.

109. I went on exit from Dubai a few months ago and my driving license expires in 2026. I have got a job in Dubai and plan to come back. I have got an employment visa now.. so, May I know what’s the procedure. Do I have to renew my driving license to my new residency visa/Emirates ID or what?

Author April 15, 2017 at 4:02 pm

No Ammar you don’t need to do any of these because in records you’re the same person, in fact, you might get new emirates ID with the exact same number as your old ID. You don’t need to do anything about your license unless if you changed your name.

110. Dear Sir,

My Licence is expiring on 18th Oct 2017, I inquired in RTA & as per them I can renew before 6 months time, ie by 18th April, can I do the Eye test before 18th April. And do I have to take the hard copy of Eye testing to RTA, and what all other documents require to get the licence immediately direct in RTA office. Please advise.

M. Fayaz Ahmed

Author April 15, 2017 at 4:00 pm

If you decided to do the license renewal in RTA branch then yes you need to bring the hard copy of your eye test.

111. Sir my License was issued from Umm al Quwain and my license was expired from 5 months and my new visa in Dubai now. And I’m 19 years old so can I renew in Dubai?

112. I want to correct my name in driving license, my name an emirates ID is mention Muhammad Ajmal and on driving license its captured Muhammad Jalil Syed Ajmal, so I want emirates ID name on my driving license, Kindly need to assist what is the requirement.

Author April 10, 2017 at 10:59 am

Go to RTA branch in Al Manara Center and you will need the following documents with you to change the name on Dubai license:

• Your old license
      • Passport original and visa
      • Emirates ID

It will cost you 120AED and the process will take around 30 minutes you will take new license with correct name.
      For location of RTA in Al Manara center click here

113. My Driving License Expired November 2014 for renewal how much additional fine?

For the renewal, license copy is enough? My original license already surrendered in Bahrain traffic department for changing to Bahrain license.

Author April 10, 2017 at 11:13 am

Your additional fines would be around 290 – 300 AED for more than 2 years late (10 AED every month). For renewal yes it’s possible to renew your license without original but you need your Emirates ID, RTA will scan it to get your profile. More info from RTA article here

114. Muhammad Shoaib
    April 8, 2017 at 9:03 am

My driving license Issued in Sharjah is expired last month. Currently, I am on vacation in my home country. How long period I have after the expired license?

Author April 8, 2017 at 10:19 am

You can renew it whenever you want when you come back from your vacation but there will be extra 10 AED charges for every month you’re late. We advise not to drive a car in the UAE with an expired license it can lead to black points or a court case if you were involved in any form of accident.

115. Sir, I have a license of Abu Dhabi can I renew it here in Dubai? And what is the renewal fee for the license and medical fee? Total how much?

Author April 6, 2017 at 11:10 am

Asif, Abu Dhabi license renewal has to be submitted at the customer services centres of the Drivers Licensing Department in Abu Dhabi and you don’t need a medical test, just an eye test costs 150AED and renewal fees of 110 making it a total of 260AED.

Author April 5, 2017 at 10:11 pm

You can renew your license 6 months before expiry or anytime after expiry but you have to pay 10 dirhams fine for every late month. RTA advices to renew before expiry to avoid fines.

Author April 5, 2017 at 10:10 pm

According to RTA yes you can renew your license regardless of how old is it but there will be 10AED late fine for every month you don’t renew your license.

116. I have a Sharjah airport free zone residence visa which is due for renewal in October 2017 and a Dubai driving license that expires in a July 2017. Can I renew my driving license in Dubai at an RTA branch?

Author April 4, 2017 at 3:29 pm

If you live/work in Sharjah and you have Dubai license that has to be renewed, you can do that online without having to visit RTA branch or you can renew it in any method you want.

117. My driving licence was from Sharjah and it will expire end of this month. How to renew if I’m in Abu Dhabi now?

118. Sir, I have a licence of Abu Dhabi but 2 years ago I moved to muscat Oman to work in a company. Now I moved back to Dubai but they kept my license and gave me the license of Oman. Now since I am in Dubai can I change my Omani license into Dubai license and how can I change it? Is it still valid?

Author April 1, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Afraz, you may go to Abu Dhabi traffic department and request license replacement [Say you lost your license or you changed in Oman] since you have your file in there before they should give you Abu Dhabi license again.

119. Sir, I have a license of Abu Dhabi can I renew it from Dubai? And what are the documents need for renewal? can I renew it before the expiry date 4 or 5 months before?

Author April 1, 2017 at 3:17 pm

You can renew your Abu Dhabi license the same way mentioned with all same procedure in RTA branches in Dubai [Answer Source] ,and yes you can renew 4 or 5 months before expiry if you’re older than 21 years old.

120. My Light Motor Vehicle driving license issued from Dubai and it is expired in January 2017 and at present my residential visa is from Abu Dhabi. Shall I renew my license from Abu Dhabi?

Author March 20, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Yes, it’s possible. Your Dubai license can be renewed even if you have Abu Dhabi visa according to RTA and it can be done online without having to visit Dubai

121. My Dubai driving license will expire July 2017 but I want to go India April 2017 can I renew my license before it’s expired?

Author March 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Yes, you can, license renewal can be done 6 months before the expiry if you are above 21 years old. Otherwise, it can only be renewed once expired.

122. My License is expired. and I want to renew. I don’t have emirates ID & Visa Stamping in passport but I have Emirates ID Registration form and E-Visa Page. can I renew the license?

Author March 15, 2017 at 9:15 am

You would not be able to renew the driving license without the emirates id, as it is a mandatory document.

[Answer instructed by RTA]

Author March 13, 2017 at 10:45 am

Yes, it’s possible to pay your Dubai license fines in instalments as long as your fines are more than 500AED, This process can be done using Emirates NBD or ADCB banks. You have to pay using those bank’s credit cards using Dubai Police mobile app during the payment process there will be an instalment option.

123. I have Ajman visa but I work in Dubai and I want to apply for UAE driving license, how can I open a drive learning permit in Dubai if my visa is from Ajman because they tell me I must get the license from Ajman but it’s really hard for me to take lessons in Ajman everyday and leave my work.

Author March 12, 2017 at 11:27 am

Before answering your question I need to know how is it possible that your visa is Ajman but you work in Dubai? However, the rules are you get your license from the Emirate your visa on, but there might be a solution if you’re working in your Ajman company branch in Dubai you can try and take an authorised letter from the Ajman company stating you work in their Dubai branch with Ajman visa. I’ve witnessed this to work in EDI driving school accepted the letter with the supervision of RTA.

124. When I got my license there is a sign of medical glasses on my License but my eyesight is perfect I don’t need to wear any glasses and I didn’t have any issues on my eye test. Will I be fined if I drove without glasses?

Author March 12, 2017 at 11:32 am

This seems to be an administrative error, please contact RTA driver licensing authority toll-free number 800 90 90 and inquire for correction.

• Sir, I am a visit visa holder, I lost my Abu Dhabi driving license, can I apply for a duplicate license from Dubai?

Author March 12, 2017 at 9:59 am

Please be informed you would not be able to renew the driving license of Dubai in that case, as to renew the driving license you must have a valid UAE residence visa and original emirates ID.

[Answer instructed by RTA]

125. 1. Do you have to wait for the driver’s License to expire for renewal or can we renew the same a few days before the actual date of expiry?

2. I have a Dubai driver’s License but currently i am on Abu Dhabi visa. Will the procedure be the same? Is there a place in Abu Dhabi where I can do the eye test which is valid in Dubai and can I renew the Dubai License in Abu Dhabi?

Author March 9, 2017 at 6:52 pm

1. For Dubai driver license renewal it can be done 6 months before the expiry if you are above 21 years old. Otherwise, it can only be renewed once expired. [Answer instructed by RTA]

2. Your Dubai license can be renewed even if you have Abu Dhabi visa according to RTA and it can be done online without having to visit Dubai, as for the optician branches in Abu Dhabi please try to find a trusted RTA partner like (Al Jaber Optical, Barakat Optical, Grand Optics, Magrabi Optical and Yateem Optician) Those opticians can be found in Abu Dhabi mall, Marina mall and other malls in Abu Dhabi.

Author February 8, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Yes, there will be additional 10 AED per month per fine. Example you have 2 fines on your license then there will be 20 dirhams to be added every month. Say you have a 450 AED traffic fine on your driver’s license in Dubai it will become 690 dirhams after 2 years in the case of not paying it.

126. Hi I have Dubai license but I got fines when I was in Ajman for having black tinted windows on my car the police officer said the fine is 30 days of car impound and 450 dirhams fine on my license. Now I am in the process of renewing my driving license in Dubai and the problem is RTA told me to go personally visit Ajman traffic department to “unlock” my license. Why can’t I pay it online or in Dubai and why my license is “locked”?

Author February 8, 2017 at 12:43 pm

To pay Ajman and Sharjah fines you can do that in Abu Dhabi police website online but some fines that include black points and car impound you have to personally visit traffic department of that emirate to surrender the car for impound or pay instead and the fine would be 100 AED per day which means 30 days will cost you 3,000 AED. As you know you must clear all fines before renewing the license then you must pay that amount to “unlock” the license and to be able to renew the license.

Author January 17, 2017 at 12:49 pm

RTA doesn’t have an eye test centre in its facilities but where ever there’s an RTA driver registration office there must be an optician nearby. Take for example RTA branch in Al Manara Center, there’s an optician in the same building where you can do the test and take the results on the spot (150 AED charges will apply). I recommend you take the eye test a day before just in case.

127. Can I use my UAE driving license after canceling my residency visa? If I decided to come back here in tourist visa and rent a car.

Author January 10, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Your driver’s license is still useable even after cancelling your residency visa and you can still use it as long as it’s valid but you can’t renew it. As for renting a car for tourist, you may use your local or UAE license it doesn’t make a difference as long as you have a valid tourist visa.

Comment on this article