If you’re buying or selling a vehicle in Dubai, you’ll need to have the vehicle ownership transferred in your name. If this is not done and you are caught by the police, you will have to pay a fine of AED 3,000.
If you’re leaving the country and you are giving your car to a friend or family member, vehicle ownership will also have to be transferred. Not doing so will result in a fine as well, even if the vehicle is being given to your mother or best friend.
Read on to learn how to transfer vehicle ownership, including where to go and what documents you’ll need.
Getting started: what you need to transfer vehicle ownership in Dubai
Here are a few things to make note of:
• The buyer must be a resident of the UAE.
• Any outstanding fines must be paid off.
• Any car loans (mortgages) must be paid off or transferred to the new owner.
• The insurance policy must be terminated or transferred to the buyer. If the insurance policy has expired, the buyer must purchase an insurance plan.
How do you check vehicle information?
The Road and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai has an app available on iOS and Android through which you can sign in to check the status of your vehicle, fines (you can even pay them via the app), what company insures your vehicle and your car loan (mortgage) status.
What documents are required to transfer the vehicle ownership in Dubai?
The new owner will need to bring:
• UAE driving licence (original and copy)
• Insurance certificate (original)
• Passport with valid residence visa (original and copy)
• Emirates ID (original)
The current owner will need to bring:
• Vehicle registration card (original) (also called mulkiya)
• Emirates ID (original)
• Passport with residence visa (copies are said to be accepted, although we recommend you bring the original too.)
• Confirmation of final loan payment or transfer of loan from the bank or finance company if there is a car loan.
All documents must be valid. Any that are not updated or expired will be rejected.
Where to transfer vehicle ownership in Dubai
Transferring vehicle ownership to any party must be done either at the Dubai Traffic Police HQ or an RTA licensing centre. Both parties (current owner and new owner) must be present.
How to transfer vehicle ownership online
There is currently no way to transfer vehicle ownership online in the UAE.
How to transfer vehicle ownership in Dubai: step-by-step guide
- Once you’ve arrived at either the Dubai Traffic Police HQ or an RTA licensing centre, head over to the typing centre to have a vehicle permit application form filled out for the new owner.
- Submit all documents including the vehicle permit application at the registration desk.
- If there are any outstanding fines, they must now be paid off by the seller before vehicle ownership can be transferred.
- Once given the all clear, the new owner must pay the transfer fees.
• A knowledge/innovation fee is usually applied at AED 20.
• The new owner will also need to pay a 400 AED transfer fee for light vehicles.
- The new registration card (mulkiya) will be printed with the new owner’s name on it which usually takes a few minutes.
- Now that the card has been printed with the new owner’s name, a copy must be sent by the previous owner to the insurance company and the finance company to confirm the vehicle has been sold.
- Sellers should make sure to keep a copy of the new registration card to prove the vehicle has been officially sold/transferred as it may be needed for a refund on insurance.
How to purchase number plates in Dubai
Number plates can be retained by the new owner, but if the previous owner wants to keep them, they can by purchasing an Ownership Certificate from the RTA. If the previous owner decides to keep the plates, new ones will be issued using the current code (consisting of a letter followed by one to five digits).
Buy your vehicle on the UAE’s biggest car marketplace
Need to buy a vehicle? DubiCars.com has new and used cars for sale in Dubai, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi and Ajman. Visit our website today. Sell any car with DubiCars, we sell a car every 5.8 minutes and 83% of our customers sell their cars within 23 days.