How to import your vehicle into the UAE

car import uae

Do you have a beloved vehicle that you would like to bring with you to the UAE or maybe you are already here and have one back home but don’t know how to import it? We’re here to help you with all the information you require about importing a car into Dubai and the UAE.

First of all, those new to Dubai and the UAE need to know that we drive on the left-hand side (steering wheel is located on the left of the cabin). Cars from countries that have the steering wheel on the other side cannot be registered in the UAE. You will also need to be a legal UAE resident as a local visa and local driving license is necessary.

Before heading to the import destination, make sure you have the following documents:

• Original invoice of your vehicle to prove ownership and value
  • Certificate of Origin to prove where the vehicle was made
  • Your original passport, driving license and visa (bring copies as well)
  • Original shipping receipt
  • Cash or cheque to pay custom fees

Collecting the vehicle

car import uaeOnce shipped into the UAE, vehicles must go through clearance procedure’s at the point of entry such as Port Rashid or Jebel Ali Free Zone and etc. Import authorities will check the vehicle and once they are satisfied with what they see, a fee of 5% of the cars worth in the UAE has to be paid to the authority. Once paid, a clearance certificate from them will be issued which will cost you 4,700 AED plus another 700 AED for container inspection. Note, this fee has to be paid upfront in order for the vehicle to be released.  Once all cleared, blue export plates will be given to attach to the front and rear bumpers. These plates cost 60 AED and an additional 10 AED for the clearance certificate paper.

Testing the vehicle

car import uaeAfter you’ve been given the green light, it’s time to get the vehicle tested, insured and registered. Vehicle testing areas are located all over the Emirate. Here are three of the RTA’s most trusted test centers:

• Tasjeel
  • Al Shamil
  • Tamam

And here are the documents required for testing:

• Original passport, Emirates ID and driving license (and copies)
  • Custom clearance papers
  • Import documents

Once at one of three locations, the vehicle will go through a set of detail tests in order to prove it’s safety and durability to drive A payment then must be made depending on the vehicle type. Once all the testing is cleared, it’s time to move on to the next step.

Registering and Insuring the vehicle

3487637117It’s time for the registration and insurance process. There are many insurance companies who insure imported cars. If you’re importing a car that is older than ten years, it can only be insured third party. Insurance quotes can vary between companies and the vehicle itself.

Documents required for insurance:

• Vehicle inspection report
  • Passport, drivers license and Emirates ID

Once you have gotten your insurance policy you have to register your vehicle with the Roads and Transport Authority.

The following documents and equipment are mandatory for registration:

• Proof of purchase
  • Completed application form
  • Blue export number plates
  • Insurance documents
  • Customs clearance letter
  • Original driving license, passport and visa (bring copies too)
  • Proof of residency besides visa e.g utility bill or rental agreement
  • Vehicle inspection clearance

Hand over all the required documents, once it’s all completed, you’ll receive white number plates and a registration card for your vehicle which must be present at all times in the automobile. Congratulations you can legally drive your pride and joy around the seven Emirates with nothing to worry about.

162 comments

1. Hi

I have a 1941 willys pickup in South Africa which I am in the process of building a hot rod. I would like to know if I may bring it to the Abu Dhabi to continue the building of it by not registering it over here. I will complete the modification and then ship back to South Africa.

Regards

Marco

2. I exported my car from Abu Dhabi in December 2017 back to the UK.
    Due to circumstances the car has not been adapted to drive on UK.
    It is my intention is to move back to Abu Dhabi early next year

The car is 5 years only

Is the process the same that I need to go thru?

3. I would like to import a 1991 Volkswagen camper into Dubai. What kind of duty would I pay on importing my own vehicle into the country?

4. Ahmad ALjahdali
    July 12, 2018 at 5:13 am

Heyy

If I import a car from Canada, the car is new 2018, if I pay tax in Canada, can I refund it since I am not a resident?

• Only the dealer can claim tax back in Canada. The process is very simple, but a lit of dealers are reluctant to abide the process.The dealer ships the car to the shipping company, the shipping company provided tax bill of lading to the dollar so the dealer can claim taxes back. You don’t pay the dealer tax on the vehicle when you buy the vehicle in Canada, since it’s being exported to you. You only pay tax on a vehicle in Canada when it is being registered in Canada.

5. Sjoerd Wijstma
    May 14, 2018 at 4:53 pm

I just imported a car from Oman. The car is registered to me, already have UAE residence but I still live temporarily in NL for the children to finish the school year, while my wife is already resident and employed in the UAE. Could someone tell me how long the registration process takes? What is the consequence if the process is not concluded within the month after import into Dubai?

6. Sathyamoorthy Venkata Krishnan
    March 29, 2018 at 5:48 am

I have HARLEY DAVIDSON STREET 750 in India. I wish to import here. kindly update the procedures for bikes.

7. Hi,

I am going to be in Dubai & Abu Dhabi & I want to bring my car from the US State of Florida which is a 2017 Chevy Cruze. I have the title for it. Can I drive in the Emirate with my Florida Plate temporarily? I be there for 2-4 years & company paying to ship the car by air freight along with my stuff. They will get insurance there for it. I am aware that the manufacturer’s warranty will be not valid there. I got a visa there where I am going to stay & will be driving to both cities. I noticed that your license plates there are not the same size as US. I see the RTA issues plates If they don’t fit can you drill holes in them or cut them to fit? Last thing is the oil & gas same as US unleaded regular 98 octane, plus 89 octane &, supreme 93 octane? My car requires 87 octane.

Thanks for your help.

• I can tell you that all of the emirates issue plates in either the narrow UK style or the US style, so that’s not an issue. I’m guessing that your company will have to follow the above procedures for you. As for gas, last time I checked the octanes were similar to those in the US.

8. Hello,
    I am an automotive exporter located in Canada.
    Would you be able to recommend anyone who can importer from UAE who can receive vehicles from Canada?

• Hi Jake i dont know if you found anyone yet to receive your cars ? Im Canadian from Montreal my name is Julien and im living here in UAE i start my import export company here . I would like to see if your looking for someone to buy your vehicles or just to receive it and take them out of the custom and deliver it ?
      Let me know i can help you , please personal message me . [email protected]

9. I am shifting to UAE on work visa from Bahrain. I have a Grand Cherokee 2016 model in Bahrain. Pls guide me what needs to be done to transfer my vehicle to UAE from Bahrain.

10. hello , is it possible to import a RHD 1996 model car from Japan To UAE just for parts that we will use on our car we own here ?

11. Hi, I have a Tesla Model S and want to drive it to UAE and sell it there. I wonder if I can drive it through Bandar Abbas ferry into UAE, clear it at customs as a foreigner (I don’t have residence visa of UAE)? Then sell it to someone with residence permit to get a plate?

12. The following are the steps I followed in exporting my 2015 model car from Riyadh to Dubai:
    Step 1
    I approached Al Bassami Transporters at exit 26 on Khurais Road, Riyadh
    Al Bassami provided a note in Arabic listing out the complete requirements. I paid the transporting fees SAR 1,500 to enter into a transporting agreement. The transporting agreement lists out all details of the car, destination, dispatcher and recipient contacts etc.
    Task 1
    Approach traffic police at Rowda to change the status of car to ‘export’
    Requirements:
    • Application form duly filled in Arabic, blank form can be collected at the reception
    • Letter from employer citing no objection to export car, duly authorized by Chamber of Commerce (COC)
    • Letter from Al Bassami citing the transport agreement and explaining the export details (will be provided by Al Bassami during Step 1 and must attested by COC)
    • Original Istemara and photocopies
    • Original Iqama and photocopies
    • Passport photocopy
    • Pay SAR 100 fees online or via the various agents plying around the traffic Police office
    Submit all of the above to the reception and the Officer will inspect these and direct to the Mohandes. Mohandes is normally the superior officer who will inspect the car and approve the application. Once the Mohandes approves, approach the reception Officer again who will collect all the above mentioned documents, your two number plates, and original istemara.
    He will then proceed to issue two new ‘export’ number plates, and two documents signed and stamped.
    One will be your new Istemara detailing the complete traffic record of the car, second confirming the change of records to export. I was told one can legally drive the ‘exported’ car only for two weeks inside Saudi Arabia, even though the second document mentioned two months.
    Tips: You will need to keep handy a screw driver to remove your old number plates. The new ones will require holes to be drilled for fixing, which any petrol pump mechanic can help. Drive carefully until you fix the new number plates and also until you renew motor insurance with the new registration information and new plate numbers.

Task 2
    Obtain 2 power of attorneys (POA) favoring Al Bassami to transport your car.
    Visit the Court at Exit 25, Al Shifa on Tuesdays from 8 to 12 am if you are a non Arabic speaker. In case you are an Arabic speaker, you can visit any working day during the same hours (I am a non Arabic speaker and visited on Tuesday, and I cannot confirm the second opinion for Arabic speakers, please check out yourselves).
    You will need to get 2 ‘wakalas’ (POA) favoring Al Bassami transport citing the legal entity reference numbers of the organization allowing Al Bassami to transport the car. The covering note document from Al Bassami in step 1 will have these numbers.
    Requirements:
    Your original Iqama and photocopies
    When you turn comes at the Court, explain to the Officer (who can speak English) your requirements, who will direct you to next Officer who will type these two letters and ask you to go to the first floor and meet the authorized signatory.
    The authorized signatory will verify your Iqama and check the contents of the letters, print these in draft, hand over to you, and request you to go to the same first officer at the previous counter on ground floor.
    This officer will sign on the draft POAs and enter it in his register. Once complete, you have to go back to the Authorized Signatory at first floor who will issue the final approved 2 POAs, signed and stamped.
    Tip: Ensure you read the contents (this will be in Arabic) of the POAs to confirm the numbers and data therein.
    Step 2
    Move the car to Al Bassami office and handover the following:
    • Two documents from Traffic Police
    • Two POAs from Court
    • Your car keys
    • Your Iqama, and Passport copies
    • Emirates ID copy (2 sides) and Passport with residence visa stamped page copy of the recipient in Dubai ( I used my friend as I was not having an Emirates ID yet)
    • You can then go to your insurance office and cancel the insurance to receive any premium refunds, even though I waited for 2 weeks for the car to clear Saudi border.

Step 3
    Wait for the car to be transported and customs cleared by Al Bassami. UAE customs charge 5% of the deemed value of the car. I had no influence in discussing the value of car and it was handled by Al Bassami. Once cleared Al Bassami will deliver the car at your place with an additional cost for the flatbed truck.
    Ensure you receive the original customs/vehicle clearance certificate duly signed and stamped by UAE customs before paying the fees to Al Bassami.
    Step 4
    Registering the car in Dubai.
    You will need:
    • To the pass the vehicle test by RTA
    • Original Emirates ID of the recipient you already chose before while in KSA, the car will be registered in this person’s ownership
    • Passport copy with residence visa page of the recipient you already chose before
    • Original Vehicle/customs clearance certificate obtained from Al Bassami
    • Motor Insurance
    I handed over all of the above to an agent at a cost and he did the vehicle testing and registration all by himself without any effort from side. The agent’s website is http://www.icarregistraton.com. I have no personal relationship with this agent. However, he was kind and professional.
    Motor insurance was a bit of hassle as the Saudi Istemara had no engine number and insurance agencies in UAE require engine number. I had comprehensive insurance quotes declined by some and some quoting unreasonably high rates due to the engine number issue. I had to take a photo of the engine number using my mobile and email to an agent to procure comprehensive insurance at a very high premium.
    The car passed RTA testing and was registered in Dubai with new number plates on the same day as handed over to the agent. The UAE registration card was not issued with an engine number and fear future renewals of insurance may turn out to be cumbersome.
    Good luck.
    Note: In case you find this information helpful, all credit goes to my Saudi friend (Al Owis) who helped me wholeheartedly throughout this process. In case you find mistakes in sentence construction, grammar, and usage, the limitations are only mine. Thank you!

13. Hi,
    Next month I would be leaving for UAE on employment visa from KSA on final exit. I have planned to travel with my own car and enter into UAE with the necessary exporting documents from Saudi Arabia.

Please note that I have Nissan Altima (Sedan) – automatic – 2012 model.

I would be thankful for any suggestion regarding the following queries.

– Can I drive the car in UAE after clearing the custom process and reach my destination in Dubai from Saudi Arabia driving license ?

– How long I can drive the car in UAE using Saudi Arabia driving license as it require some time to complete the visa process and acquire UAE driving license ?

Many thanks in advance.

14. Hello,

I am an Indian and working Saudi Arabia last one year, I have (Nissan Tiida year 2007) car in Abu Dhabi registration, I was before working at Abu Dhabi I would like to get my car here in Saudi, I can come with the bus to Abu Dhabi and bring the car by road? what ever paper required can you tell me, please.

If you have any clue, web links, etc.

Author July 20, 2017 at 8:29 am

Hi Issa, Hybrid cars can be used here on the roads of the UAE. As for restrictions, we are unsure as there is not a lot of information regarding these types of cars. We’ll have look around and get back to you on that one.

Author July 13, 2017 at 10:48 am

Hi Khalid, as for as we are aware yes you can but getting it registered for the road is quite hard. What do you plan on doing with the car?

15. What about modified vehicles? 08 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Diesel with Chase Truck Suspension System, 6″ lift and 37″ tires. Would this be allowed or even pass inspection?

16. Juzer Ilyas Turky
    July 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Hi Christopher, Is the procedure same for a custom bike. I have made a custom bike but it is in India, I want to get the bike in UAE.

17. Hi! Please help. My Dad lives in Saudi and wants to gift me a car. I’m UAE resident What is the process? The car is in Saudi under his name and it’s coming by land (Dad is bringing it) Also, is the 5% on current value or original price? Appreciate your support.

• Hi Ignacio, for complicated cases like that we really can’t give you an accurate answer. Please coordinate with Dubai customs and RTA.

18. I have a UAE visa and I live in Abu Dhabi. My friend wants to gift me a car from the USA. It is a Ford Mustang and 8 years old. How much do I need to pay if it is for free?

19. Hello Chris,

My car is transported from interior of Saudi and is awaiting to be collected. I have export plates.

I need to know the procedure to collect the car. You mention 4700 AED for clearance certificates. Where do I need to pay this?

I am Abu Dhabi resident and the car is a 1977 model.

20. For example, if I import a car from America, there I paid 10,000 Dhs and I have the document proving that price when that one arrive in UAE they will available the value of vehicle again?

21. Salam Allekm,
    Hello,

I am a Saudi citizen and studying in USA, but I do not have a physical address at UAE. I would like to get my Lexus LS 400 year 2000 with me back. unfortunately, new roles in SA restricting to the last 5 years old production models and 30 years old for classic. Is it possible to bring it to UAE ? and use it mainly in SA?

if you have any clue, web links, etc
    Appreciated

Thanks

22. Linshad Machingal
    April 26, 2017 at 11:45 am

Hi Christopher,
    Greetings! Apart from the customs duty which is 5% of the car value and the temporary insurance, is there anything to be paid at the UAE border? I have heard that if the car is brand new or within 2 years there is no need for paying the 5 % value. Is it so?

• Kindly we request you approach Abu Dhabi customs to know the procedure. Contacts: 8102242 -02 / 02 – 8102347 [Answer Instructed by Dubai Customs]

23. I just imported a classic car from Europe into Dubai without any issues. A few observations or corrections to the information above (by the way, thanks for this great article, it was very helpful!):

1) Your car does *not* have to be less than 10 years old. You may import a car of any age, as long as:
    a) it’s a left-hand drive (conversions not allowed),
    b) it has not had any structural damage,
    c) it’s yours,
    d) it passes the RTA inspection, and
    e) you have a valid residency in the UAE. Passing inspection is not difficult if the car is in good condition, even if it’s old. Mine is 31 years old, without even a catalyst, but passed inspection without any problems (of course, it had no leaks, new tyres, decent brakes etc)

2) You do not need a certificate of origin, or proof where the car was made (at least, not for any well-known brand of car)

3) You do not need an original invoice. A copy will suffice (although just to be on the safe side, it’s still best to have an original)

4) I’m not sure about the blue number plates and if this is still possible. I had the car transported to the Tasjeel test center on a flatbed truck with no plates.

Lastly, a tip: use a reputable local agent to handle the entire import procedure. It costs a bit of money but saves you a lot of time and a massive headache.

24. Hi Christopher,

Greetings!

Please help to understand.

Regards,
    Sam

25. Hi Christopher,

I am an INDIAN national living in Bahrain and relocating to Dubai shortly. I would like to know/get clarified a couple of things as I am planning to Drive the car into Dubai.

1. At the UAE/Dubai, it’s mentioned that I will have to pay 5 % of the vehicle cost. Who will evaluate the vehicle cost? The UAE customs by looking at the vehicle purchase invoice?

2. Do you know if at the Border customs only accept cash? Can we use cards?

3. Right now I only have valid Bahrain driving license. Can I drive my car into UAE with export plates, Park it at my accommodation and then later take the local license?

4. Can I keep my personal luggage in the car while driving into UAE?

5. Should take a temporary insurance at the border and then a proper one later for registration?

6. Can I register the car in my name without holding a UAE driving license?

Please help to understand

Regards,
    Sam

• Dear Sam,

With reference to your inquiry regarding import cars, we have the pleasure to inform you the following:
      1. You can import your car on Import basis, by paying a 5% customs – Customs Inspectors will physically assess the value at the time of arrival.
      2. You can pay cash or by credit card.
      4. you can keep your personal luggage in the car while your driving into UAE.
      6. As per RTA, you don’t need a license to register a car in your name.

Note:

• The car should be under your name.
      • You should have a resident visa.

[Previous answers were instructed by Dubai Customs officials]

For your questions 3 & 5, we don’t have an accurate answer for it, recommending you to reach out RTA.ae website.

• Hi Salam,

Greetings!
        Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated

Regarding question 3 I did check with RTA and they said without license you cannot drive, however the following thread gives me a different story

In this one guy had moved from Qatar to Dubai with his vehicle. He had resident visa and upon entering he changed his license to local license.

I have tried to contact him through the website for more clarity but so far no feedback.

Is it possible for you to have a word with Dubai police or RTA in this specific scenario?

Regards,
        Pramod

• Small information i have regarding this is that with emirates ID you can register the car under your name but not drive it, it will be registered without number plate. In order for a regular number plate to use the car on road, you need insurance and for insurance you need a valid driving license without which RTA will not register the car.

26. Hi, I want to import my vehicle into Dubai from Azerbaijan, on temporary basis. I have Dubai driving license and resident visa. What is procedure for temporary import.

27. Hi,

I want to bring my car from Saudi to Dubai, as I’m going to move there soon. The car’s registered with the company I work for, but once the contract s over, they want to get it off their hands. I’d like to know a couple of things: one, how long do I have to be in Dubai before I can get a license (I’ll be resident via work), two: it’s a 2005 Trailblazer, does the age matter? If so, is there a way I can get around it? Maybe a safety check or something like?

Cheers,

Andy

28. Hi Chris,

Need your help, please. I will be relocated to Dubai from Saudi and I want to transfer my Toyota Fortuner 2017 to Dubai. A company will transfer my car but do not know the exact documentation to clear the car in Dubai.

I was just told that a letter is required from a dealership in UAE as well addressed to UAE customs at the border. However, I did not see that requirement when searching on the internet. Is it actually a requirement?

• On 2017 cars (the current model year) a letter from the dealer authorizing the import of certain model cars are required. The authorized representative of most brands are trying to bar private import of current model years into UAE in order to protect their business. I ran into this problem recently. Better check first before trying.

• Hi Francisco,

I too am relocating to Dubai from Saudi next month. Please let me know what transporting company you are using to transport your car from Saudi to Dubai. Also, what clearance papers from the traffic department do you need to get? as far as i know, you don’t need any papers from UAE to clear it.

Sami

29. I want to buy and import a vehicle from Dubai to Saudi Arabia. What is the procedure? Can you please tell me in detail?

30. I am planning to relocate to shariah, I have only Qatar driving licence, , I am planning to export my car by road through drive my self. can I drive at UAE with Qatar licence?

• Please clarify below in order to assist you further:

• What will be your residence visa source in UAE
      • Your nationality

Also, note you may coordinate with the concerned Emirates in case your residence visa had been issued from other Emirates than Dubai (In the case of Sharjah you need to contact SRTA Sharjah Road and Transport Authority).

[Answer instructed by RTA]

31. i am planning to import a bike from Cameroon, the person said it will be sent by flight and will receive at my home , what is the process for registration once i receive it i am doing this for the first time so need a lot of help on this .. do i need to pay anything for import from my side , and do i need to go to customs for clearance once i receive it as it will be by flight and not ship

32. Hello, I have a 95 Jeep wrangler Left-Hand drive that I want to import in Abu Dhabi from the UK. Can you let me know what specs I need to check to ensure there will be no issue with testing and import before I ship? also, do you have an idea of cost?

• Further to your query regarding the vehicle importing from the UK, please be informed that you need to check with Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology for the car specifications. [Answer instructed by RTA]

33. Hi Chris,

Need your help, please. I will be relocated to Dubai from KSA (Khobar) very soon and I want to transfer my car to Dubai as soon as possible. A company will transfer my car but do not know the exact process to clear the car in Dubai. I will have my Emirates ID only two weeks after my arrival, currently, I only have a UAE employment visa paper. I have a friend living in Dubai who is ready to collect my car but will the car have to be registered under his name then he will transfer it to me or I can collect it from customs or shipping company once I have my UAE ID?
    Appreciate your help. Thanks.

• Hi Mohamad,

I too am relocating to Dubai from Al-Khobar (Saudi) next month. Please let me know what transporting company you are using to transport your car from Saudi to Dubai. Also, what clearance papers from the traffic department do you need to get? as far as i know, you don’t need any papers from UAE to clear it.

Sami

34. Can anyone help me buy a land cruiser v6 or v8 2017 model RIGHT HAND DRIVE. The car doesn’t have to be registered in dubai. It will be exported directly from the port itself. Please let me know if any references. 0552143255

Author January 21, 2017 at 11:05 am

Hi Wales, you can bring the car here but you won’t be able to register it or sale it. You can only sell it for scrap or use the car for second hand parts.

35. Hi..I am looking at importing a used Jap / Korean RH drive car to the UAE. I am going to relocate back to South Africa in 2 years time when I want to take it back. It needs to be owned and registered here for at least 2 years befor I can take it into SA. Are there any problems with this ?

We cannot import LH drive vehicles into SA unless special / classic etc.

Author January 21, 2017 at 11:08 am

Hi Garret, you can import the vehicle here, but much like SA, it will be near impossible to register unless it’s a classic.

36. Hi Christopher,
    We will be relocating from Doha to Dubai and saw your advice that your car should be worth a good ‘chunk of money’ to ensure that all the costs are evened out. I think our less than 4 year old Honda Pilot still qualifies and I am now wondering what the most expedient approach would be. My husband still has a valid UAE driving so theoretically he could drive the car to Dubai but I am wondering whether that is the best option. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thank you

Author January 17, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Hi Angelika, why not just drive it back here and keep the car. No need to sell it and deal with all the paperwork.

• HI Chris, won’t I need some specific papers to import it? The car has never been registered in Dubai, it was bought and is registered in Doha and we will need to get to Dubai first, I assume. Leaving Doha in June and starting in Dubai in August. Thanks again for your help.
        Best, Angelika

Author January 18, 2017 at 8:25 am

Hi, Angelika, you’ll need an export certificate provided by the Qatari department of road and traffic, a clearance certificate, original documents (visa and ID) and a bank approval letter if financed. Note that if you want to register the vehicle here in the UAE, you or your husband must have a residency visa within the UAE.

• HI Chris,
            Thank you again for the really useful advice. Hugely helpful.
            As we are leaving Doha in June and not starting until August in Dubai and then it takes a while to get your residency we will need to figure out where to leave the car in the interim but your advice has been invaluable. Have a great day. Angelika

37. Hi, I want to bring a 750 kg luggage trailer with me when I move to Abu Dhabi. Does this need registration in the UAE or would it be just counted as part of our household effects?

Author January 9, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Hi Sean, check with the RTA because as far as we are aware, a trailer will be part of the car when that’s imported.

38. Kindly help if you have any info regarding my case,
    I want to import Subaru GC8 and these cars are older than 10 years
    I’ve heard that I cannot import a car that old, and I might get a special approval, from where? or How? and how much would it cost and how much time would it take I have no idea where should I ask?

Kindly let me know guys if you know any info regarding this..

Much appreciated

• Individuals can import a car that must be no less than 10 years old, for cars older than 10 years will have to check with Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) before shipping. Visit their website rta.ae and they shall give you more info about your case.

39. I am shipping a Nissan 240SX, but the car has no interior or engine (basically a shell). Will it be able to leave the port so I can swap a different engine into it ( it’s a project car)

• Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any RTA regulations when it comes to cars without engines please refer to your shipping company.

40. I am a Dubai resident.I started a business in saudi arabia 2 years back.That time i took my Dubai registation car to saudi.In Saudi i changed the registration .After that I stopped my business in Saudi and came back to Dubai with my Saudi registarion car.But in Dubai I didn’t change the registration till now.Now I wanted to sell this car.Please advise me how can i sell the saudi registarion vehicle in Dubai.(Should I go to Saudi for changing the registration ?..)

• We couldn’t find any info from RTA stating this case. Please consult RTA customer service online to make sure you do the right process.

• The procedure is the same except for one step which is Testing the vehicle. UAE has set more strict regulations to import Hybrid cars into the UAE and those tests in the test centres (Tasjeel, Shamil, Tamam) are generally the following

• Battery testing must pass high temperature
      • The ability to travel a distance of at least 250km at the speed of 100km/h-110km/h in one charge
      • The vehicle must be able to stand the high levels of humidity, dust and sand storms.

Once your hybrid car passes the test you will be able to continue with registration and insurance normally.

• The procedure is the same except for one step which is Testing the vehicle. UAE has set more strict regulations to import Hybrid cars into the UAE and those tests in the test centers (Tasjeel, Shamil, Tamam) are generally the following

• Battery testing must pass high temperature

41. Hi Chris,

I have Audi Q5 2015 model car to relocate from Dubai to Riyadh. How much will it cost for documentation price only?

Regards,

Kashif

42. Hello, I am thinking of buying a motorcycle from Ksa and import it here to Abu Dhabi. Can you provide me with the information of what I need to do and is it possible for me to just go to Ksa and drive it through the border myself.

43. Hi
    I would like to import a Unimog truck for personal use (not commercial) Would I still pay 5% duties and are there any other points that I need to consider. Thanks KP

44. Hi there. I would like to import a new Ford Mustang European Specs. No you know if the official dealers do this or they only sell GCC specs? I asking this because my stay here is temporary so in a year or so I would like to take it back to Europe.

Thanks,

K

Author November 3, 2016 at 11:55 am

Hi, official dealers don’t stock import spec Ford Mustangs. However, there are a few dealers around the Emirates who stock import Mustangs, and you can find most of them on our main site.

45. hi christopher i want to import vaydor g35 it is a kit car the original car is infiniti g35 can i import without any difficulties?

Author November 2, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Hi, there should be no problem importing the vehicle as long as it adheres to the rules and regulations the RTA stipulates. Of course the vehicle has to be street legal as well.

46. Dhanushka De Zoysa
    October 29, 2016 at 10:35 am

HI Christopher
    Good morning

I would like to inquire regarding importing of a vehicle (Jeep Compass 2014) from KSA.
    My farther who is currently working in KSA wants to gift me then above mention Vehicle, I am currently living & working in Dubai.
    I would like to know the procedure and if I have to pay any amount if he drives the vehicle by land.

Author October 30, 2016 at 11:16 am

Hi Dhanushke, you will have to pay a small fee at the border post. Is the car being driven across the border or will it be hitched to a tow truck?

47. HI,
    I want to import my friends vehicle Lexus RX 2005 from Qatar to Dubai by road/driving.
    I am a Dubai resident.
    I have learnt from some forums that importing car should not be less than 10 years of age.
    My question

1. Can i import 2005 model or i need to take special permission
    2. To Do list for Importing the car

Author October 19, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Hi, We’ve also been informed that no vehicle older than ten years can be imported into the UAE. Seeing as there are many cars being imported every day that are older than a decade, special permission can be granted by the Authorities.

• Hey Chris,
        Thanks for the response.
        Can you guide me how to get Special permission. where and which department i need to approach.

FYI: I have contacted dubai RTA with the same query they said to check with Abudhabi customs for import rules as car will be entering at Abudhabi border.

48. hi where i can get (Certificate of Origin to prove where the vehicle was made) if am buying the car from privet owner and shipping it todubai

Author October 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Hi Fadi, the Certificate of Origin can be obtained from the Dubai Chambers department. However, from what I’ve heard it is no longer necessary.

49. SHAMEER K BASHEER
    October 12, 2016 at 3:07 pm

i want to bring my dad’s car (camry 2000 model) to abudhabi and want to register here. is it possible or not..?

50. Hi I have a quick question – where can I find the rules and specifications on cars that are allowed to be imporated. E.g. is it possible to import a army tan car to the UAE?

Author October 9, 2016 at 11:49 am

Hi Nasir, I take it the vehicle is right-hand drive. Unfortunately, the vehicle can not be registered and legally driven on the streets of Dubai.

51. Hello Christopher,
    Thank you for the very informative article.

I am trying to import a car from Japan (Left hand drive), and just worndering about the AED 4,700 Clearance fees you mentioned.
    I could not find any mention of it on other site. Can you please clarify if this is a mandatory requirement or specific to import from certain countries.

Author October 6, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Hi Tashfeen, this price is a rough estimate for all countries. It could be cheaper but its best to take that amount of cash with you just in case and yes the fee is mandatory due to it being a government department.

52. Hi there,

If we want to import our car from Qatar can we drive it into Dubai? If we have residency in both Qatar and UAE, valid driving licenses and valid ownership/ registration and insurance docs? If so where do we take it when we arrive? Thanks

• Hi Jaime,

Were you able to manage to drive it to Dubai and register it? We are very interested as we are facing the same situation. Many thanks.

53. Hi Chris, thanks for the response. I understand from RTA that i may not need to register it as a classic immediately.

Could you guide me on this please. I need to import the vehicle from Saudi Arabia. What is the procedure for this?

54. Hi, I plan to move to Abu Dhabi in few months from Saudi Arabia. I would like to bring my Subaru Forester (1 year old). Should I bring the car with me since the beginning or I should wait until I have the residence in Abu Dhabi?

Alternative, can I bring the car to AD, and storage it until I have the residence?

Do you know any agency that can help with the paper work?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto

55. Hi, I have located a classic in Saudi Arabia and neet to import it here in Abu Dhabi. Could you advise what are the formalities?

Author October 2, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Hi Musallaf, classic cars are a special case and it’s best to check with the licencing authority in Abu Dhabi.

56. Hello,
    I have exported my car from UAE to Russia 3 years ago the car was new. Now i want to bring it back to UAE and drive it for two years maybe I will sell it in UAE or I will bring it back to Russia. Please advise me what are my options.

Author September 27, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Hi, Emil, fascinating question you have here. It’s all dependant on what car you have. If it’s a car with a high retail price it’s best to bring it here and sell it as there are plenty of dealers here who can no doubt help you out. If it’s not a luxurious one, sell it in Russia.

57. Hello dear,
    i have a 2009 VW Tiguan and relocating from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi.
    I know your article says one can import upto 10 year old cars but i was getting conflicting information so would appreciate if very much if you can confirm if i will be able to import my car please?
    many thanks!

58. Dear All,

My situation is very different, well I’m here in Qatar, Doha on business vis, no license as well and fortunately I won a car at a ruffle draw from a mega store it’s a Mercedes E-200 2016 model. Now i’m willing to give this car to my uncle at Dubai but i’ve have no clue about this kind of scenario. Situation is: the car is still with the dealer as I dont have any Residence permit I cant get it registered under my name. Can someone please tell me what could be the entire cost if my uncle will import this car in dubai.

Author September 3, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Hi Faaez, cost varies between companies. The average price we’ve seen is 5,000 to 6,000 Qatari Riyals. That is excluding duty fees.

59. Hi… How can I locate my car at Dubai ports facility if I don’t have container number. Shipper doesn’t disclose its whereabouts and asking money to pay again and again. I even don’t know my car is there at Dubai port or not. Pls advise

Author August 31, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Hi Paul, as for as we are aware you can sell it off as soon as you import the vehicle. Just make sure all the paperwork is there.

60. Can I import heavily modified vehicles? What are the restrictions on importing vehicles? Some examples of restricted vehicles?

Author August 30, 2016 at 8:48 am

Hi Timmay, this is a subject which is sort of a grey area. For this information, you will have to talk directly to the Road and Transport Authority regarding this matter.

61. Hey,
    Ive been planning on importing a 91 or 99 Toyota Supra. The car is right hand drive and just wanted to know whether or not that would be an issue when importing it to the UAE? Can I possibly do modifications to make it Left hand drive?

Author August 25, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Hi Josh, importing the car is allowed, but it can’t be registered for road use as per the RTA. Even if you have it converted from right-hand to left-hand drive, it won’t be given the green light by the RTA as it’s a conversion.

So that leaves you with three options on what to do with the vehicle: Take it to the Dubai Autodrome for track days or racing, use if for drift competitions or display it.

62. Hi Chris. I exported my Ford Edge to Saudi Arabia from Dubai 2 years ago. My wife is resident in UAE. Can I import it back into Dubai without me having residency and register it in her name?

Author August 25, 2016 at 11:43 am

Hi Will, I should be fine to bring it back to the UAE and have it registered under your wife’s name. Just make sure it passes it’s MOT beforehand.

63. Dear Sir,

My boss is importing an used diplomatic vehicle 2008 model from ex Vietnam to UAE as he is relocated to Dubai. Can you please give me some information, whether he is allowed to import this vehicle as it is old model. And if there will be any import duty to be paid at customs, is so what percent. What will be the customs fee on declared value.

Also is he allowed to re-sale this vehicle in UAE. if he doesn’t want to use in the UAE

64. ADALBERTO DELL'AGLIO
    August 1, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Dear Sirs,
    I’m an Italian citizen, relocating from Romania to Dubai.
    I would like bringing my car (Volkswagen Passat SW), 2011, Euro 5.
    Do you know who could provide an overall estimated cost, including the shipping?

65. Hi

I am relocating from KSA to Dubai and planning to drive my car as it is not too far away. My employer in Dubai has arranged for an entry permit which I will use to enter Dubai via the Saudi-USE boarder – my work visa will be stamped within two weeks of entry.

I am getting conflicting messages:

1- some people said although I can get the car across the boarders; however, I will not be allowed to drive it as I still do not hold a work visa and UAE driving license.

2- Others said, because I have got a Saudi license I would be ok to drive it all the way to Dubai.

I have one week left and not sure what to do; so would highly appreciate your advise.

Note I am British national and not Saudi or GCC.

Regards

• Dear Imad,

My case is similar to you as my company is also relocating me from KSA to Dubai and I have started looking for the ways to take my car from KSA to UAE.

What I understand from the blogs is that you can drive to dubai if your KSA license remains valid while going final exit from KSA (as I understand your iqama / KSA residency will be cancelled). I think this is the only thing you need to check with the traffic licensing department. If your driving license remains valid, then after getting UAE residency/Emirates ID, you can directly convert your British driving license into UAE license at RTA customer services centers.

In my case, I am looking for the shipping companies to ship my car from KSA to UAE.

Please let me know the outcomes as it will also help me to arrange my car move.

Regards,

• Hello Rizwan, Would like to know if you were able to find any export company details as I have the similar case now.

66. I want to bring my Triumph Explorer motorbike from South Africa to UAU. I am here on a two year assignment so it will
    Be a temporary import. Do I still need to go through the normal registration and import process?

Author July 15, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Hi David, while I am not 100% sure on this matter, I think you will still have to go through the standard registration and import process.

67. We are relocating from Doha to Dubai and want to take our car with us (9 years old) to avoid the hassle of selling and buying another one. I have read in the article you pay lots of fees when doing this. Financially is it worth or is it better to buy a car in Dubai?

Author June 28, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Hi Erik, it’s all dependant on what car you own. If it’s an expensive one, then bring it with you, if not then try and sell it and buy a new one in Dubai.

Author June 22, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hi Moaz, It shouldn’t be a problem bringing it into the UAE. Do you plan on driving it here or shipping it?

• Hi
      I am moving to Dubai from KSA, I want to bring my car Mazda CX-9 model 2015, it’s by bank lease and I will pay all installments and own the car.
      What will be the process and documents needed
      Thanks
      Mokhtar

• As per law it’s not recommended to issue final leave with any sort of bank loans in KSA or UAE because there might be a big possibility you will get stopped on the border (depends on your bank). Please consult your bank and let me know your situation or clear the auto loan before leaving KSA.

• I will conclude the car loan and transfer to my own then move to Dubai.
          Is there any specific law or regulation as the car was bank lease or it will be the same process?

68. Hi,

I am relocating to Dubai and would like to take my three very rare Ducati motorcycles with me.

Would I be permitted to import all three of them at the same time?

Regards,

Author June 19, 2016 at 8:02 am

Hi Morne, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a problem to import all three of them at the same time. Best to check with the moving company before hand.

• Hi Christopher,
        I am based in Dubai and want to bring my Defender from 2001 here. The car is fully mofidied as camper with rooftent and many opitions and in perfect state and passed the road test. What do I have to do since its older as 10 years before I ship it. I want to avoid that it is rejected when it reaches UAE.

Comment on this article