How to transfer vehicle ownership

dubai number plate

If you’re buying/selling a vehicle in the UAE, you’ll need to have the vehicle ownership transferred in your name. If this is not done and you are caught by the police, you will have to pay a fine of AED 3,000.

If you’re leaving the country and you are giving your car to a friend or family member, vehicle ownership will also have to be transferred. Not doing so will result in a fine as well even if it is your mother or best friend.

Here are a few things to make a note of:

• The buyer must be a resident of the UAE.
  • Any outstanding fines must be paid off.
  • Any car loans (mortgages) must be paid off or transferred to the new owner.
  • The insurance policy must be terminated or transferred to the buyer. If the insurance policy has expired, the buyer must purchase an insurance plan.

The RTA in Dubai has an application available on iOS and Android. Via the app, users can sign in and check the status of their vehicle, fines (you can even pay them via the app), what insurance company insures your vehicle and car loan (mortgage) status.

Number plates can be retained by the new owner. If the previous owner wants to keep them, they can but will have to purchase an owners certificate from the RTA.

If the previous owner decides to keep the plates, new ones will be issued using the current code (Letter followed by one to five digits)

And yes, you can own a number plate without actually owning a vehicle, although an oddity this happens quite a bit.

What documents are required?

The new owner will need to bring the following:

• UAE driving licence (original and copy)
  • Insurance certificate (original)
  • Passport with valid residence visa (original and copy)
  • Emirates ID (original)

All of the documents must be valid. Any that are not updated or expired will be rejected.

The new owner will also need to pay a 400 AED transfer fee for light vehicles. A knowledge/innovation fee is usually applied at AED 20.

The current owner will need to bring the following:

• Vehicle registration card (original) (also called mulkiya)
  • Emirates ID (original)
  • Passport with residence visa (copies are said to be accepted, although we recommend you bring the original too.)
  • Confirmation of final loan payment or transfer of loan from the bank or finance company if there is a car loan.

How to transfer vehicle ownership

Transferring vehicle ownership to any party must be done either at the Dubai Traffic Police HQ or an RTA licensing centre, both parties (current owner and new owner) must be present.

Once you’ve arrived, head over to the typing centre to have a vehicle permit application form filled out for the new owner.

All filled out? You’ll need to submit all documents including the vehicle permit application at the registration desk. A check for outstanding fines will be checked; if there are any, they must be paid off by the seller before vehicle ownership can be transferred.

Once given the all clear, the new owner must pay the transfer fees. The new registration card (mulkiya) will be printed with the new owner’s name printed on it which usually takes a few minutes.

Now that the card has been printed with the owner’s new name, a copy must be sent by the previous owner to the insurance company and the finance company to confirm the vehicle has been sold.

Note to previous owners/sellers – keep a copy of the new registration card to prove the vehicle has been officially sold/transferred as you may need it for a refund on your insurance policy.

Need to buy a vehicle? Dubicars.com has new and used cars for sale in Dubai, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi and Ajman.

204 comments

1. hi sir
    lost documents of transfer
    i bought a car from one person. we completed all the procedures of transferring
    now that person is in Pakistan
    should i go direct do the insurance and registration ?
    or finding those documents are compulsory ?

Author October 22, 2020 at 10:36 am

Hi Sikander, those documents are mandatory. However, if the vehicle is registered in your name, the RTA may be able to help you out. You can call them on 800 90 90.

2. Syeda minhaj fatima
    October 13, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Dear sir,

This is to inform you that my husband had been took an auto loan in adcb in 2017, since then he was paying monthly instalments in time to time. Meanwhile he went to india 🇮🇳 for vaccation in the month of march but he never skipped monthly payment, unfortunately in the month of july he admitted in a hospital for some health issues, soon after his health became deteriorate & he passed away on 11 august 2020, leaving behind me & his 5 kids.

While he was hospitalised for one month in india all our assests & cash we had spent for his treatment & nothing is left for us to survive. Now i have no source of income/cash with me except to sell his car.

I just want adcb bank should wave off the remaining balance( only 5 instalments left) & at the same time bank should give clearance certificate as well as NOC so that we can sell the car to overcome our financia crisis.

I heard a lot about you in uae & write now I’m in india can’t come to dubai please tell me what should i do? & can bank wave off auto loan.

Eagerly waiting your response.

3. Dear sir,

Eagerly waiting your response & I’m attaching my husband death certificate here.

4. My friend is transferring his car under my name because he will flying back soon to our country for good. I have purchased a new insurance for the car and have the vehicle inspected today morning. When we went to Muroor traffic department in Abu Dhabi to complete the formalities, we found out that the car is still mortgaged to a bank. He has long finished paying the car but unfortunately did not bother to obtain mortgage clearance certificate. He has closed his bank account and tried to contact the bank but to no avail. He may be able to obtain the certificate but may not be physically present here in the UAE. Im sure the car is fully paid but the registration (mulkiah) card has to be updated. I want the registration to be under my name without any liability to the bank.
    My questions are:
    1. Can he tranfer his car to a new owner without a mortgage clearance letter from the bank?
    2. Will the new owner inherit legal responsibility to the bank the car was mortgaged?
    3. Is there any violation on the transaction?

Kindly provide your expert advice and best possible course of action.

Thanks a lot

Author October 6, 2020 at 10:09 am

Hi Chito, good question. As far as we are aware, a mortgage clearance letter is needed to transfer vehicle ownership. As the original owner has closed his bank account and is no longer in the country, this may be a tough situation as we’ve never come across this before. If they can get the clearance letter, then it can be transferred into your name via a POA.

As for violations, the RTA might be able to further assist you with that. You can call them on 800 90 90.

5. Hi,
    My car registered in Dubai, seller (me)& buyer both having Abu Dhabi visa, seller having traffic file in Abu Dhabi & Dubai as well.
    Buyer only having Abu Dhabi traffic file.
    What is the best way to transfer vehicles to the buyer?

Author October 4, 2020 at 10:12 am

Hi Raji, as the buyer has an Abu Dhabi visa, they have to register in Dubai. You’ll have to deregister the vehicle in Dubai and put on a recovery to Aub Dhabi.

6. Hi,
    I am a KSA resident, and planning to buy a car from a private individual in Dubai. Is it possible to transfer the ownership and drive the vehicle to KSA?

7. I need sell my aub registered car to one person living in Dubai . I am staying Ajman. Buyer and seller available in Dubai. I need to go aub?

8. G’day Chris,

I have an Abu Dhabi registered car and I had a couple of queries:

I want to register it under a relative who already has Abu Dhabi registered car under his name but is currently on a Dubai Visa – would that be fine for that relative to have a second vehicle registered in Dubai? If so, what would the registration process be?

Once the car is de-registered in Abu Dhabi, what is the exact process if the car is to be transferred to a new owner in Dubai with a Dubai visa in terms of passing, insurance etc.?

Thanks!

Author October 4, 2020 at 10:07 am

G’Day Sam, yes your relative can register a car under his name (limit is 5 for expats). For the registration process, you’ll need to go to Dubai to register that vehicle and have it tested at Tasjeel. Insurance can be transferred as long as there is 9 months validity on it.

As for getting the car to Dubai once it’s been deregistered, you’ll have to put it on the back of a recovery.

9. Hi Cris
    For the registration purpose does the buyer need to be physically present or a representative with buyers EID, Visa copy and Driving Licence can do that

Author September 19, 2020 at 6:13 pm

Hi Shammy, the buyer needs to be present as they’ll need to be given the vehicle transfer document. If they are not available, the can give someone power of attorney.

10. Hi Christopher,
    I am buying car for the company I work for.
    The car is registered in Dubai, My visa is Dubai.
    But I have both Traffic file number for Dubai and Abu Dhabi, as I own a AD registered car already
    So my question is. what would be the easies way to transfer ownership to me, prewffeabily with out leaving the emirate of Abu Dhabi.
    where I and the car currently located.

Thanks

Author September 15, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Hi Deon, to transfer vehicle ownership in UAE, you have to present in the Emirate of your visa when transferring between parties. I recommend you call the RTA on 800 90 90 and see if it possible due to the current situation.

11. if I’m selling my car, and the buyer wants to use my insurance & Mulkia ( since it is still valid for 3 more months )
    to which government range should I go. Also, I just want to know the process of it.

Do I need to meet the buyer after the insurance and mulkia expired? just for him to renew it?

thanks,

Author September 14, 2020 at 11:03 am

Hi Arrianne, if the insurance policy is valid for 3 months, it can’t be transferred. It must have a minimum of 9 months remaining.

12. Hello Chris, I’m trying to transfer my ownership from abu dhabi to dubai, the owner has his license issued from fujairah. I tried to do an online transfer but it says ‘The insurance data does not exist’ I contacted the insurance and they told me my policy is active and valid till jan 2021. Any idea what should i do?

Author September 13, 2020 at 10:27 am

Hi Ashish, if not mistaken the insurance policy should have a minimum validity of 9 months in order for it to be transferable. The buyer will have to take out another policy.

13. My visa is abudhabi and car also abudhabi registered, I want to sell this car but the buyer have the Sharjah visa,
    please let me know the procedure and I can transfer online or physically from any emirates( Ajman,Umm al quwain ) other than Abudhabi , is it possible ?

14. Hi I’m selling my car here in Abu Dhabi and the buyer is also stays here but he has a Dubai visa is that possible to transfer the ownership?

15. Hi Christopher,

I am selling my car to buyer. My visa is ajman and vehicle also ajman registered. So the buyer visa is dubai visa. My question is if i deregister my vehicle in ajman, can i pass the vehicle after deregistered in Ajman or should i have to pass the vehicle in dubai only.? what is the procedure.? where to pass this vehicle.? Please help me out.

Thanks

Author September 6, 2020 at 11:04 am

Hi Syed, yes you can. As far as we’re aware, as long as the vehicle has been tested at Tasjeel, the passing paper should be valid in Dubai.

16. Dear am having Dubai registered private car,my visa is from Dubai but am staying in Ajman for the last 8 years,can I change to Ajman plate in this renewal,regards

Author September 2, 2020 at 1:09 pm

Hi Suresh, you’ll have to de-register the vehicle in Dubai, then export the car to Ajman and re-register it.

17. Hi Im buying a car from my friend, car is registered under his company . He is the owner of The company . Is it required for him to be present during the vehicle registration? Or is there any way the registration can be done in his absence?

18. Hello Chris,

I am planning to sell my old 2008 car to the workshop where i used to do the service and they are planning to dismantle and scrap it.

They are asking me the Vehicle Possession Certificate from RTA (120 dhs), but they say that i can keep it under my name to avoid additional fees by transferring to their name which is an additional 400 dhs.

Here is my doubt, if they do not finally scrap and they will repair and sell to somebody else and something happen with the car, Do i have any liability? Or Can i sleep calm with that document under my name..? 🙂

Thanks a lot.

BR.

David

19. Hello ,

My colleague is stuck in india and he has lost the job and no plans to return back

But he has asked me to get his car transferred to my name and sell it

Car registration is @ abu dhabi and registration is expired in april

will you be able to guide me on the process, is it feasible to transfer without the person and procedure as vehicle registration is expired

Please advise

Regards
    Suhas

Author August 27, 2020 at 12:19 pm

Hi Suhas, your colleague will have to give you Power of Attorney in order for you to sell the car. As the vehicle is registered in Abu Dhabi, you’ll also need to go to Abu Dhabi to de-register the car.

20. Hi Chris,

I have an Abu Dhabi visa and hold Abu Dhabi registered car. I am planning to sell my car to a buyer who holds the Dubai visa. We both are currently based in Dubai. I have closed the mortgage and will be obtaining the clearance letter.

Please let me know the procedure for transferring the ownership and registering the car?
    Is this can be done from Dubai rather than going to Abu Dhabi?

Author August 20, 2020 at 10:17 am

Hi Kevin, as the vehicle is registered in Abu Dhabi you’ll have to deregister it in AD and then have to export to Dubai. The easiest way to export the vehicle is via recovery. Once the vehicle is in Dubai, you can transfer ownership.

21. Hi, ill just to ask if it is allowed to transfer a car ownership without any license and contiune to finance the the car monthly till
    It done and finish thae driving license as well.thank you

22. Hi, ill just to ask if it is allowed to transfer a car ownership without any license and contiune to finance the the car monthly till
    It done and finish thae driving license as well.thank you

23. Hi, i am buying a used car registered in Dubai from private owner. I have a Sharjah Visa and Dubai license. Could it be transferred to me under DXB registration ? If not, who pays the cancellation fee? What is the procedure to register it in Sharjah?

Author August 16, 2020 at 10:30 am

Hi Ronald, we’ll try to answer this the best we can.

1. As your visa is from Sharjah, you can not register in Dubai.
      2. Payment of the cancellation fees is to be decided between you and the seller.
      3. To register the car in Sharjah, you will either need to obtain export plates (expensive) or put the car on a recovery (cheaper) and taken to Sharjah Tasjeel to register the car. You will need to have the Vehicle Owner Certificate in your name in order to register the car.

Hope that helps.

24. Hi,
    I am Having Dubai Visa and Dubai Regiatration Vehicle ,i want to sell my car in Al ain,

Should i bring the Car to Dubai?
    Or Can Sell Directly in Al Ain?

what is the Procedure??

Author August 16, 2020 at 10:32 am

Hi Ashok, does the seller have a Dubai visa? If not, the car must be deregistered in Dubai and then the seller has to export the car to Al Ain in order to register.

25. Hi. I recently had a major accident and declared my car (still under bank financing) as total loss. The insurance company has advised me to transfer the ownership to them before they will give me the equivalent value of my car. My questions are:
    1. who should shoulder the cost of transferring the ownership?
    2. what steps must be done before transferring the ownership since my car is still under mortgage with ENBD?
    3. what is the process of transferring ownership from a person to a company?
    I really appreciate your kind reply on this matter as I don’t know what to do.

Author August 11, 2020 at 10:30 am

Hi Marie, great question on how to transfer vehicle ownership and we’ll try to answer it the best way we can. Please note, this is the first time we’ve had this question and if you need further information, call your insurance company and the RTA.

1. You’ll have to handle the transfer cost of the vehicle.
      2. We’ve been told that you’ll need to clear the mortgage via ENBD before the vehicle can be transferred to anybody or a company even it is a write-off.
      3. If you are transferring to a company, you’ll need the mortgage clearance certificate and the rest of the documents as if you were transferring to an individual. A representative of the company must be present.

Note that for further information can be obtained from the RTA and your insurance company.

26. Hi there! Hoping you can help – my Dubai Emirates ID & residency have expired (24th July) and I’m due to leave the country permanently at the end of the month. I need to sell my car – will it be an issue or will I be able to use my passport as ID (along with valid diving license & mulkiya) – thanks in advance,

27. Hi Dear,

I am want to sell my car available in dubai but currently, I have stuck somewhere else due to pandemic and unable to return.

Please advise how can I sell my car without availability.

28. Muhammad Haidullah
    July 23, 2020 at 8:33 am

Good Morning,

I am going to buy a car from Abu Dhabi and Mulkiya Validate until 6 months my visa and residence in Dubai my questions is what will be the procedure did I have to follow did I have make new incurance again, also new plates, or any more cost I have to bear? Please guide me

29. My car is wrecked beyond repair, while attempting to salvage it the car was towed to Abu Dhabi Municipality Garage. If I cancel the car registration and insurance can I still transfer the ownership to a salvage company after I get it from the Municipality Garage? (noting of course all fines and fees are paid in full.

30. Hi,
    i want to sell my bike to Abu Dhabi owner and due to current pandemic situation i wasnt able to renew my registration and insurance (less than a month have passed). So would like to know the process required to transfer the bike to new owner (like passing of bike etc.) and what fines and charges i have to pay in Dubai ?

Author July 19, 2020 at 9:54 am

Hi Ab, the fines and charges are the usual ones. You can contact the RTA on 800 90 90 for the correct prices.

31. Mohammed Shareef
    July 11, 2020 at 11:16 am

Hi dear

I wanted to transfer my car to a customer in Dubai. My registration is from Dubai as my previous job was in Dubai. Now I am located in Al Ain. Since I am in the medical profession, my job demands my physical existence in the hospital most of the time. second challenge there are lots of restriction for travelling to Dubai and coming back due to this pandemic situation.
    By any chance can this transfer be done online, considering the situation. Buyer located in Dubai and Seller in Al Ain

Regards
    Mohammed

Author July 12, 2020 at 9:59 am

Hi Mohammed, the only way to do this would be to grant power of attorney to family member or friend. You can also call 800 90 90 for further assistance.

32. Am planning to buy an Used Car, its cost coming Aed 30,000. How much Insurance Premium will come for this. Please Advise.

33. Hi christepher,
    I am going buy a Honda civic car from Dubai to Abudhabi .current car Dubai registration. But my visa abudhabi. I need to Abudhabi registration . What documents I should collect and what kind of expenses will be there. If u have any experience and cheaper way can you advice.
    One my friend advice me car parking in Abudhabi and remove number plate go to Dubai and cancell registration. If car in abudhabi area so I want to take export licence or no need?
    Cancellation ( dubai rta)fee who need to pay? Seller or buyer

Thanks

34. Hello,

I am trying to sell my vehicle. I have just settled my vehicle mortgage and was trying to obtain Release Mortgage Document from Abu Dhabi Police. I went to the AD Police office for Vehicle Licensing in Muroor St, apparently this service can only be done through Abu Dhabi Police Website. And ,so I went to the AD police website and unfortunately it doesn’t recognize my username/email address and password, I can’t proceed to obtain the release mortgage document.
    Do you know if there is any other way to obtain release mortgage document rather than the one in Abu Dhabi Police website?

rgrds,
    Prama

35. I have bought a car from ajman under ajman licence plates and i live in abudhabi. The ajman police has issued me a change of ownership certificate with condition mentioned no objection to be transferred within 48 hours within other emirate. Now the police is not allowing any vehicle to enter abudhabi on recovery. What will happen after 48 hours.do i have to again do the same procedures as i have paid the seller and the owner ship certificate is under my name

• Hi, Sir I have one question I was get my license be for 8 months
      Befor few of days I was try to get car but the insurances Company
      They are told me you are not able to get insurance Intel you license not complete one year why like that please help me on this
      What I have to do for this I now after 6 months insurance should be done if I buy the car

36. HI There,
    I am Working in Dubai but my car is registered Abu Dhabi. I have settle my Car loan in the bank and the bank ask me to go Abu Dhabi Police traffic department (Muroor) and get a confirmation to release the car mortgage.
    I can not go due to movement restrictions.
    Is there any way to do this without going Abu Dhabi?

Thanks.

Author June 27, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Hi Yasas, unfortunately, there is no way around this. You will need to get the clearance letter from Abu Dhabi Police once the restrictions are over.

37. hai..
    I want to sell my car , the buyer working and staying in dubai company his company have 2 branches located in abudhabi and dubai and his residents visa is from Abudhabi.
    How can i sell it and the buyer wants to register here in dubai. what is the procedure plss?

• I want to buying the use car , the seller staying and visa have abu dhabi , and also my company have one branch in abu dhabi but my visa have on Dubai branch if how can i transfer the ownership / is possible on the abu dhabi number plate , what is the producer

Author June 24, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Hi Naeem, you will need NOC from the company, letter in Arabic from the company, passing paper and Emirates ID.

38. Hi
    I need to transfer my personal vehicle under a commercial license. From company side they are asking for official letter in Arabic+ Endorsement of signature and authorisation letter. Is there any particular format for these two documents. Please advice about these two documents.
    Thanks
    Omer

39. Hi i bought a car directly from the owner and didnt change the mulikya yet so got some fines now will want it changed to my name. Can i do that without the fines been paid first? I accept the fines are mine. But just got not money to clear them out yet but want the mulikya changed since car payment is done.

40. Hi chris,

Am planning to buy a used car in dubai. My id n visa expired on 4th june 2020. But due to pandemic, my visa got auto renewed till December 2020 but in id it shows the expired date. With this condition is it possible to get the transfer in my name?

Please suggest.

41. hi sir
    I stay in Abu Dhabi and my car registration and visa is from dubai.but know I like to sell my car here in Abu Dhabi but the buyer visa is also from dubai..my question is due to lockdown we cant move to other emirates like from abu Dhabi to dubai is there any way where I can transfer the ownership in Abu Dhabi or online??

• Same issues here. I called rta dubai but they told me transfer should be done in rta or tasjeel branches unlike renewal that can be by online. I tried requesting moving permit from abu dhabi police app with that purpose but always being rejected. Now my buyer here in abu dhabi who is having a dubai visa wants the car. Im not sure but i hope there is an affidavit from typing center that would allow temporarily the seller to give all the liabilities to the new owner while the mulkiya cant be transferred yet at this moment of lockdown in Abu dhabi.

• Hi i bought a car directly from the owner and didnt change the mulikya yet so got some fines now will want it changed to my name. Can i do that without the fines been paid first? I accept the fines are mine. But just got not money to clear them out yet but want the mulikya changed since car payment is done.

Author June 21, 2020 at 9:41 am

Hi Singwen, you’ll have to pay off the fines before changing the mulikya into your name.

Author June 8, 2020 at 9:48 am

As long as they have valid documentation that they are the owner of the vehicle, there should be no problem

42. Hi,

I wanted to transfer the ownership of our car from my wifes name to under my name. She is currently stuck in India and a POA looks difficult. Is it possible to do this basis of original marriage certificate? Any other work around possible?

Author June 8, 2020 at 9:48 am

Hi Sharvan, you can contact the RTA via their website or via the phone on 800 90 90, they’ll be able to give you clarfication.

43. Hi There,
    I have purchased a car in Dubai but I am a resident and hold a visa in Abu Dhabi. I have been told that once the car has been de-registered in Dubai it will need to get put on a truck to Abu Dhabi for me to register it there. However, I was told by the owner of the car everything, even the registration for AD can be done in Dubai at the RTA, is this correct?
    Thank you for your help.

Author June 7, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Hi Michelle, from what we know about you have to have the vehicle “exported” to Abu Dhabi in order to register it in the Emirate due to your visa.

Only Emirati nationals are allowed to register a vehicle in any Emirate.

44. hi am buying a car but no plate number. what the process? if am buy the car its okay to change name owner only certificate document. no mulkiya and no insurance. then after 3 month am start to apply new mulkiya and insurance. thank you for helping

45. Im buying a car registered in rak but im from dubai, with dubai residence and visa. Please tell me what is the procedure and how it can be done without going to rak?

46. Hi, my cousin bought a car from auction since December last year and left it in a garage and went on vacation since January but he has been caught up with the lockdiwn. He wants me to go and et the car with recovery,change ownership and make vehicle license and start using it in my name. Please is this possible in his absence and how can i go about it. The auction transfer papers are intact are here.

47. Hi guys!
    Am going buy a car and export… What documents I should collect and what kind of expenses will be there. I should transfer that car under my name? If u have any experience and cheaper way can you advice.

Thanks

48. Hi Chris,
    I am a buyer and want or transfer used car ownership from seller along with 3 month Valid Insurance too and we both are Abudhabi residance,
    If my Absences if it’s ok to send my Reprasentative to complete transfer formalities. Please advice.

Author May 18, 2020 at 8:36 am

You’ll need to give the representative Power of Attorney, this can be obtained via the courts. The insurance won’t transfer as it needs to be valid for 7 months or more.

49. Hi Chris, I am a buyer & i want to transfer
    Ownership from seller .So we both are in Abudhabi residance ,
    So please advice what are the procedures I have go through with ?
    If it’s possible to transfer 3 month valid insurance also to my name ?
    If I unable to go to at vehicle Registration office my representative can do the transfer procedure behalf of me ?

Author May 18, 2020 at 8:37 am

50. Can the third party insurance be transferred by the seller to the buyer? I am the seller now. When I approached the insurance company they said new insurance policy by the seller needs to be taken. The existing policy still has 9 months unexpired period. I was told that I need to apply for a refund separately. Looking forward to an expert view on this.

Author May 17, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Certain insurance companies don’t let you transfer insurance policies to the new owner. You’ll also need to check if the new owner meets the criteria of the insurance plan.

51. Hi Chris, this is very helpful. Would like to ask, it regards ”buying used or 2nd hand car”what if owners still have max 9months validity of mulkiya, once new registration will be issued to the new owner, does it mean that it still be valid by 9months or automatic up to date by the time of registration of the new name? It may convenient to use that extra 9mos of mulkiya before registering new.Thanks a lot

52. Hi Christopher,

My emirates ID has expired, and my cars registration will expire soon, I am planning to transfer the car to my brother.
    Would the absense of my emirates ID be and issue?
    And what would be the best way to proceed with this situation.

Author May 14, 2020 at 10:12 am

Hi Tushar, transfer the vehicle to your brother as soon as you can. As long as the car registration is valid, it shouldn’t be an issue.

53. Anna Marie Gallanosa
    April 29, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Can you please tell me apart from car insurance and vehicle passing fee, how much exactly the cost for car transfer registration?

Thank you.

Anne

54. Muhammad Nauman Khan
    April 28, 2020 at 4:17 am

I had a question please help me last year i sold a car to a person and he said make the power of attorney and give me the car because mulkia is valid for one year now one year is over and he had the fine on that car of 1400 aed now i tell him to transfer the car under his name but he refused to do so my other car is not getting renews due to this car tell me the procedure how can i remove this car from my name thanks 🙏🏽

Author April 28, 2020 at 11:21 am

Hi Muhammad, this is a special case, you’ll need to talk to the RTA (800 90 90) and the Dubai Police.

55. Hi I buy car from Emirates auction after purchasing I can seen that the car is scrap.
    Emirates auction not provide any transfer letter I receive the letter from Ajman municipality about the car scrap.
    Is make new key now car is in working condition. Can you let me know how can I register this car on my name.

If any one have any ans please share it to me.

Thanks

• Hi Christopher,
        Can I get transfer letter from Ajman police because I have letter from Ajman municipality that this car is mine now.
        I make key and check this car it’s not a scrap.

So please advise.

• MOHAMMED SHAFEEQ K.T
        May 13, 2020 at 11:39 pm

Hi Christopher…

I want to sell my car in Dubai. It has 11 month valid mulkia and insurance.

So can I transfer the vehicle to new owner.. After transferring new owner can use both mulkia and insurance or not..
        He have to do seperately both insurance and registration.

Author May 14, 2020 at 10:10 am

Hi Mohammed, the insurance can be passed on to the seller, but the Mulkiya will be renewed with a different date for the seller.

• Hi
            I want to transfer the ownership of my DXB registered car. Both buyer and seller holding abudhabi visa please advice about the procedures

Author April 26, 2020 at 2:06 pm

The owner needs to give power of attorney to a representative to act on their behalf in order to transfer vehicle ownership. Once granted, the representative can then transfer the vehicle into your name.

56. Hi, im about to sell my car, which is do not have any fine. But for second car I had one fine. Is it will be any challenges while change owner procedure getting on?

Author April 26, 2020 at 10:29 am

Hi Maxat, it shouldn’t be an issue as long as the car you are selling doesn’t have any fines on it.

57. Hi sir,
    Can you briefly inform me about procedure to transfer my brother’s car to my name if he left UAE 2 years ago.
    He might not come back andni want to transfer car on my name.
    What documents are required?
    Whats the procedure?

Many thanks!

Author April 26, 2020 at 10:42 am

Hi Ahmad, you’ll need documents from him proving that he is the owner of the vehicle. You’ll need to pay any outstanding fines and possibly late renewal fees. Contact the RTA (8009090) for more information.

58. Sir, my visa is expired, company sais they will renew after the lockdown, can i transfer the car in my name, with my emirates id, as it is expired on 14th april 2020.

Kindly reply.

• Ramadas Raghavan
      May 25, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Dear sir
      I already brought one motor cycle
      From Dubai owner.
      I am from Abu Dhabi resident.how can I obtain number plate and registration
      What proceedure should l do

Thanks
      Ramadas

Author May 27, 2020 at 9:22 am

Hi Ramadas, you will have to register the vehicle in Abu Dhabi. You can either obtain export plates for the bike or have it put on a recovery. Riding without plates in Dubai and Abu Dhabi is against the law.

Author April 19, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Yes, you can, but you either have to pay it off or work out a deal with the buyer if they will take the loan on. If the buyer approves, you’ll need to organise a meeting with you, the buyer and the bank you took the loan out with. Make note that some banks may not allow it, speak to the bank first.

59. Salman Ahmed Khan
    April 18, 2020 at 4:38 pm

I am living in Ajman with my car have abudhabi number plate.i have Ajman visa.i want to sale my car in Ajman residence person.how can I sale without going abudhabi in this situation.

Author April 19, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Hi Salman, only Dubai residents are restricted in terms of movement. You’ll need to get in touch with the Abu Dhabi vehicle registration office for further information.

60. I am buying a used car from Dubai owner and my license and Visa also from Dubai, can we transfer these days if yes can you let me know how online ir need to visit rta Centre if rta Centre tell me the operating Centre name

61. Hi plz help me i am living in abudhabi and my viza from dubai so can I transfer the abudhabi car number plate on my dubai viza

62. Hi, Due to the Covid-19 RTA test centres are closed now, I want to transfer my car ownership to other person to whom im going to sale car, what is the process now can you let me know. please update where we can transfer my car.

63. Hi, Due to the Covid-19 RTA test centres are closed now, I want to transfer my car ownership to other person to whom im going to sale car, what is the process now can you let me know

64. Muhammed Shakir
    April 1, 2020 at 6:39 am

Hi good morng sir …
    Eny one can help me ..
    I buy one van hiuas from Dubai ,I passed from Dubai ..the owner from Dubai..
    But now corona problm all Shamil closed ..how I can transfer ?anather options?
    Pls help me

65. Hello dear.
    I buy a car from my friend. First he told me to renew the mulkiya in my name. I told him ok and i passed the car in Dubai passing center. Now he told me to transfer. Ok now my visa from ajman and the car owner visa from dubai. So my questions are:
    1. Can i make the mulkiya for ajman in Dubai. To transfer in one place and make the mulkiya in same place? Or i need to bring the car again to ajman in recovery?? Please let me know quickly because i am new in UAE.
    2. My license is new so some friends told me that your insurance will be double or more than the normal charges?
    3. I passed the car in dubai. So for transfer and. Making the mulkiya they need the car? Because the mulkiya is expired already from last 4 months.
    4. If mulkiya expired how much fine from one month?
    5. Tomorrow upto which time the office will be open?
    Thank you….

66. Hello dear.
    4. If mulkiya expired how much fine from one month?
    5. Tomorrow upto which time the office will be open?
    Thank you 😘.

67. Hi, i am buying a car from my friend and want to keep under his name for sometime. Do i need any document or anything like Sale Paper (without any Notary Stamp etc). He is asking to do the agreement on as Sale Agreement and we will transfer once we want to. Can i drive like this in UAE?

Author March 17, 2020 at 1:38 pm

Hi Siddiqui, yes you can but any fines, black points and vehicle impoundment will be under their name. It’s best to get transferred sooner rather than later.

68. I want to sell my car the mulkiya is valid till January 2021.Do I have to test my car again and does the buyer needs to buy new insurance policy.Or can I just transfer the ownership just showing my valid mulkiya?

Author March 17, 2020 at 9:41 am

Tests are valid for 30 days in Dubai, seeing as you tested it in January, you may have to get it tested again. Is it a new or used car?

69. Muhamed Rashid.Ak
    March 15, 2020 at 11:30 am

Hi, what is the procdure to change number plate style in abudhabi, and the car under my boss name, so is it okay that i can change the plate my self or need to present the owner?

Author March 15, 2020 at 2:52 pm

The owner needs to be present or you need a letter giving power of attorney to you from your boss.

• Fuzail salahuddin
        May 22, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Hi Christopher!
        I am a resident of Riyadh,Saudi Arabia and planning to buy a used Ford Mustang in Dubai.(2016 Mode)
        I will be visiting Dubai once the lockdown period due to Covid ends, and complete the necessary govt procedures. Can you kindly let me know if I can transfer the vehicle on my name i.e. Saudi Resident ID in Dubai,and drive this car back to Saudi Arabia?
        Thanks in advance for your advise!

70. I dont have UAE driving licence but want to buy car for my brother and have it registered in my names. Is it possible?

71. Hi Thanks for your prompt reply, it sounds great ! and could you please give your name and contact email so I could refer to my friend. He is looking into the BMW 320i and 330i (year of 2017 or 2018) or Mercedes Benz C300 (year of 2017 or 2018). if there is any news would you please also inform him ASAP. My contact email is following: [email protected] BTW he is scheduled to fly to Dubai (from Taiwan) on 19th of this month and he is going to stay for 7 days. My friend is also concerned about the payment and the papers required for shipment. best regards and many thanks.

72. Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for this link.

It has all the relevant information I have been searching for regarding purchasing a vehicle in another Emirate.

Sadly I have missed out on three potential cars due to uncertainty. However that won’t happen again 🙂

73. LAZAROU DIMITRIOS
    March 1, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hey! Can I sell my car without my residence visa? It’s cancel because by my previous company.
    I have a resident driving licence.

Author March 1, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Good question, while it isn’t possible, the RTA might make an exception for a special case such as yours.

74. Hi my friend is planning to come to Dubai and is its possible for him, as an non-UAE citizen, to buy and export the used car back to his country ?

Author March 1, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Yes, we can also assist you with the help of our partners who ship across the world. Your friend can get in contact with us and we’ll take care of the rest.

75. Hi, Is it possible to purchase a car without a valid driving license yet but I’m now taking driving school which will take 1-2 weeks more?
    What will be the procedure?
    Will the RTA transfer the ownership to me? and insurance and registration to follow?

Author February 25, 2020 at 10:56 am

Hi Kidd, it is not possible to buy a car in the UAE without a valid driving license. What you can do is get a family member or friend to register it in their name. Once you’ve got your license, you can transfer it in your name.

76. hi I buy a car and it is dubai registerd under my cousin name now I WANT TO TRANSFER IT TO ABUDHABI under my name because my visa is from abu dhabi , so wt is the procedure kindly guide me , thanx

77. I want to sell my car the mulkiya is valid till January 2021.Do I have to test my car again and does the buyer needs to buy new insurance policy.Or can I just transfer the ownership just showing my valid mulkiya?

78. hi I buy a car and it is dubai registerd under my cousin name now I WANT TO TRANSFER IT TO ABUDHABI under my name because my visa is from abu dhabi , so wt is the procedure kindly guide me , thanx

79. i am staying in fujairah. now i bought a car from dubai from a private owner .what is the procedure to change the ownership from seller to buyer?

Author January 13, 2020 at 11:01 am

Hi Santhosh, this is paid by either your or the seller. If the owner is a private individual, they will most likely not pay for the transportation. If the seller is a dealer, there is a chance they will cover the cost.

80. I live in FUJAIRAH and I am buying a second hand car from Dubai , so to xport the car to fujairah who will pay for the xport fees in Dubai tasjeel new owner or seller

Author January 12, 2020 at 8:38 am

Hi Dushyant, this is paid by either your or the seller. If the owner is a private individual, they will most likley not pay for the transportation. If the seller is a dealer, there is a chance they will cover the cost.

81. Hi dear all
    I am buy the car yesterday
    Number plate is Sharjah but my visa in Dubai
    So how can I will transfer for my name
    Please answer me and much is coming cost

82. I am planning to buy Abudhabi i registered Car. Insurance already transferred to my name. How can I transfer vehicle ownership in online.

83. I had one car registered in Abu Dhabi and I sold to a Sharjah resident. When I went to Abu Dhabi Muroor for transfer the ownership they (Taresh) charged me 800 + 126 AED without any receipt How could I know why they charged this amount? (I had no fines)

84. I have a car in Sharjah registration and want to transfer the vehicle fines on my license and want to sell the vehicle to other person so that I can get money to pay my car.

Is it possible??

• Hi cris
      I am planning to buy a car in dubai but it is registered in abudhabi.
      Is there any way that i can register without the presence of owner.
      Because the owner is a old lady she is living in dubai
      She could not able to travel to abudhabi

Author August 24, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Hi Ajeesh, unless the owner has given power of attorney to another individual, you’ll have to have the car deregistered in Abu Dhabi, then exported to Dubai to be re-registered.

Comment on this article